Saturday, July 26, 2008

Reality

I knew going into this adoption it would be hard and it has been. Not every day is hard, and not every hour of every day is hard, but some are! It is difficult to add a toddler to a family when there are already young children in the family. I don't think I was mentally prepared for this. My only experience has been bringing home a newborn, not a 22 month old! It is just very, very different. There is no easing into things, it's more like a freight train coming into your family. You do not have the different stages of baby proofing your home, you just jump right to the last one where they can rip down and destroy everything.

I know Silas is supposed to be in our family. He is ours and God planned it this way. I love him and my love for him is growing each day, but it still feels different than the love I have for my girls. I read the blog of another adoptive mom who also has other children at home and she said she felt like she was babysitting. I understand her feelings although I definitely feel like he is my son. We waited for Silas and loved him from the first photo, but deep love like I have for my girls takes time. I hesitate in writing this, but it is reality. I know in my soul that as time passes my love will deepen just as it has with my girls.

By the time my girls were two, they knew certain expectations we had of them. It is totally different with an adoption. It's like we are starting with a newborn, but he is already almost 2. I am trying to figure out how I need to adjust my expectations without leaning too far in the direction of catering to his every whim and spoiling him. We are on a totally foreign journey and at times I feel like I am loosing my path.

Maybe that's why God led us to adoption, specifically to adopt Silas. Maybe I need to be bumped from my path and my plan. It's really all about God's path and God's plan. I know with no doubt that this adoption was God's plan for us. I know he will change me through this which he as called me to and I am ready for the challenge! I need to stop relying on me and start relying on Him who will equip me with everything I need to make it though the day. We are studying James at church and this scripture helped me today, "Dear brothers & sisters, whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy. For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong and character and ready for anything." James 1:2-4. Lord, help me to be joyful at all times, even those times when I have a screaming toddler, a whining 3 year old and a bossy 5 year old. : )

8 comments:

Andrea Nielsen said...

I will just agree with the other new mom and say that what you are going through is really quite normal. I didn't realize it a year ago...but more and more people are being honest about the struggles the first several weeks hold. I also struggled...same but different. I am single and she is my first..but we started at 27 months.
Keep your chin up, it does get easier and feel more normal...whatever that is.
andrea

Alyssa said...

Hang in there! I think you are doing a great job. I can't imagine how hard it all is- thanks for sharing your feelings. I'm always willing to help when you need me.

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate your honesty, Cara...I have often wondered about how it would feel to adopt when you already have kids. I will be praying for you and your family. That is a great Bible verse that you included also!!

Katrina said...

Wow I know what you feel. Just be strong . The love will come. Just give yourself a credit! You are great mom.. With tree kids there is a lot to do... But you can do it!!!! We will pray for you!!! KJ

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you Cara to be honest about our feelings toward Silas. It takes a real women and mother to share your thoughts and not hide them. I will be here for you if you need me. I can't imagine what your going thru, what I do know that you have friends and wonderful husband and church family that has your back. If I can do anything for you, I am here,I was working last night and the parents was telling that the sermon was outstanding. So my pray that thru God Holy Spirt it will help and lift your spirt. Love You, Sylvia Ogden

jeanette said...

Oh Cara! I know exactly where you are. :) It's terribly difficult, and yet so wonderful, to add a toddler into the mix!

It took a good 6 months for Elizabeth to really start "fitting in" in our family and for having her around to feel "normal". She is STILL learning our boundaries (but she has quite the stubborn streak too!) and we're nearing the 9month mark.

It takes time..but it is ALL God-ordained and He will bring it about in His perfect timing.

kitzkazventure said...

Bless your heart! I remember sitting in the Southland adoption group just about in tears because our experience in bringing our 3 year old home from Kaz was so different than all of the "happy" stories of babies coming home, laughs,smiles and hugs......and we had the previously mentioned "freight train"! I felt like people wouldn't understand our stories of stress and chaos and would misinterpret them as not loving our sweet son. I said many times in the early days on our blog that adopting Nick was less about him and more about us and our relationship with the Lord. What a journey this last year has been. Our prayers are with you and your family. We are doing T/TH Little Elks again this year so we may see you around but if you ever want to get our sweet little "freight trains" together....drop me an email!
hensleykhensley@aim.com

And, being real and honest will only help others understand and you will be comforted that you are so not alone in your feelings.....totally normal!

Karen Kitzman (proud but tired mom of Nick)

Anonymous said...

Cara, thank you for telling us how
you feel, how it feels to bring a
2 yr.old into your midst. What you
say sounds very real - I couldn't
imagine it being easy and am so glad you are saying it isn't. But
it will come and you'll forget the
time you didn't have him - like you
couldn't imagine life without each
of the girls. Maybe I should have
had a rough and tumble boy!! But God knows best it seems - Love,Mamaw