Thursday, July 3, 2008

Day 8

Today we went to Pingyao City. It is an ancient city surrounded by a wall. It was recently added to the list of world heritage cities. We left at 9:00 and did not get home until 5:30 due to really bad traffic. Silas did very well during the day. We are starting to see the real little boy come out, tantrums and all. He plays pretty rough - hitting, pinching and pushing. We'll have to work on that!! He was much more confident today with us and at one point even let go of my hand and took a few steps on his own. He has only done that in our hotel room, never out in public. It was very, very hot today and he was so sweaty. A bath is definitely in his future for tonight!

The crazy Chinese traffic. Anything goes! There are no lanes and no rules. Bikes and mopeds are everywhere and I can't believe more people don't get hurt. The put their little kids on the back and just weave in and out of the traffic.


More traffic. This man was riding a tractor through the mess.

A view of Pingyao from the top of the city wall - the wall was built in the 1300's.
A city street. There were lots of little shops to look at.

Lacquer is popular in Pingyao and I thought these tea sets were adorable. Hopefully we can find something like this in Guangzhou. We have to watch the weight of our bags for tomorrow. They can only be 44 lbs each.

Yes, we are corrupting him! He had his first taste of coke before the age of 2!
Yummy! Eating noodles with chopsticks is good.


Silas' first steps without mommy in public! He wanted to walk around after lunch and while we were looking at a store, he let go of my hand a took a few steps! Big milestone! A couple days ago he would totally shut down when we were out in public.

What we have learned about Silas:
  • He is all boy! He loves to grunt, hit, bang and play rough. His sisters will have to get used to having a boy in the house!
  • He wears 12 months shorts and can fit perfectly into an 18 month one piece outfit.
  • He can hear! I think his hearing is impaired, sometimes it seems we have to talk a little louder for him to pay attention (that could also be his age!). He does respond and has repeated the words momma, baba, daddy, more, jie jie (big sister).
  • He has lots of tantrums when he doesn't get his way! I think he was spoiled. : ) He is having one now because he wants to go walk in the hotel halls - guess what we're going to do now? : )
  • He loves to eat and has liked everything we have offered him. We need to fatten him up!
Tomorrow we leave for Guangzhou at 2:30. We have enjoyed Tiayuan but are looking forward to being one step closer to home! Please pray for sleep. Silas is doing great during the day, but is have lots of trouble at night. We think he might be having night terrors or bad dreams. He starts screaming, hitting and kicking and did this about 10 times last night. It does not make for a restful sleep. Pray for his little body and mind to relax. Thank you! Again, we appreciate the comments and knowing that people at home are lifting us up. Next time we write we will be one step closer to the USA!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you all are having very big days and long nights. I can't believe he isn't so worn out from walking around all day he doesn't collapse at night. This is such an amazing experience, but I can only imagine how tired you all are. We will definitely pray for a peaceful nights sleep for Silas... and mommy and daddy. He is bonding more each day. God has blessed your family and will continue to watch over your trip and hold Silas in His hand throughout this new beginning. We love you, and we are praying.

Jason and Tracey Herko said...

Wow so he's all boy- I wouldn't know how to handle that. Madelyn and Caroline are in for a treat- but it will be good. I'm so happy for you guys. He is so cute. I'm glad he can hear- somewhat anyway. I will pray for sleep for you guys. Karissa had night terrors really bad and they are not fun.
Take care,
Tracey

Anonymous said...

Silas is just missing his Ms. Sylvia. He is hitting because he wants to do BIBLE WORDS. I just thought I would give you something to smile about, it has to be hard for you guys right now, but just keep on saying Silas is your special GIFT FROM GOD. I can't wait to see the whole family together.
Love, Ms. Sylvia

Somewhere In The Sun said...

Yep, he sounds like all boy for sure! But he's so cute! :) He must be feeling secure with you to let go of your hand. I love your city shots!

~Lynn

Anonymous said...

It is great that he is getting so comfortable with you so soon! As soon as I get to work each day, the first thing I do is check for a new update. I love hearing about your new adventure each day! I'll be praying for a good nights sleep for all of you. Enjoy the 4th of July over there!
Kristin

Anonymous said...

Happy 4th of July...in China!! Thanks for all the info on Silas - it is good to know that he can hear (I have been hoping for good news in that regard) and what size he's wearing. How weird is it to look at boy clothes after two girls?! We ar ehaving Miss Sidney's birthday party tomorrow - wish you all could be here with us to celebrate, but maybe next year we will be able to get ALL the kids together!

Love,
Brooke

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he is all boy, through and through! What a fun and challenging adventure! We are definitely keeping rest and sleep on the top of our prayer list for all three of you. I agree with Becky-- with all you are doing during the day, I can't believe he doesn't just conk out at night! And what a BLESSING that he can hear some!!! Thank you Lord!! The progress you are making is nothing short of a true miracle. :) We love you and miss you!
-Len and Brad

Alyssa said...

The night terrors sound awful. Poor thing. Keep loving on him! I hope you all get some sleep, you're going to need it keeping up with a BOY now!! J/k. I'm glad he's all boy. Now you know what I've been dealing with! He'll fit in perfectly with Wilson and Luke! I love the picture of him eating noodles!!

Anonymous said...

Kirby wants you to know that the tractor pic is the coolest one on the site! He thinks it's great that Madelyn and Caroline now have a brother. He's hoping for more tractors at your house the next time we visit!
Praying for your family. So grateful that each new day has been better and better with all of the adjustments. We'll be praying about the nights.
Maggie

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that he can hear you all! What a blessing that is! Gillian had night terrors too, and they can be very frightening for the child and for you. We would hold her tightly and sing to her quietly until she calmed down, with very little light on in the room. Try to pick one song that you can sing every time the night terror happens, maybe that will help. I will be praying for you all tonight. Happy Fourth!! You're almost home!

Wayne and Brooke

kitzkazventure said...

He is just so cute! Don't worry about the Coke. Nick had lots of orange Fanta in Kaz! :) The night terrors are a bit scary and I bet since you all are changing places several times he will not probably get over them until you get home. Even then, he may have them. Nick was over his terrors in the first few days but we stayed in the same apt for almost a week. Silas will probably do better once you can get him on a schedule at home and he knows exactly what to expect for the evening and sleeptime. Praying that God wll give you extra strength and stamina to get home!
karen

Rebecca Lily said...

Cara & Jason, Silas sounds like the most amazing little guy! It really is awesome how he has adjusted to his new mommy & daddy. I'll keep praying... I am sure that the days feel especially long when you haven't slept as well!!

I love all the pictures, especially of Silas. :) He has the most beautiful smile & chubby cheeks!!!

Rebecca