Saturday, July 5, 2008

Day 10

Today has been a really nice day. Silas slept great last night in his own crib. He always holds me to fall asleep. The slats are wide enough that I was able to put my arm through and hold him until he fell asleep. It worked great! Good thing, because I was not doing well last night. I was very nauseous from the plane ride and I think I was a little dehydrated. All is well today though, thank you so much for your prayers.

This morning we had his visa photo and medical exam. He is crying in the photo - he did not want daddy to set him down! The medical exam went fine. He cried, but that is to be expected. He weighs 21.9 lbs! I wondered if his ears would cause any issues during the exam, but there were no problems. It is really nice to see everyone in our group again with their children. It seems like all of the families are doing well.I don't want to have my visa photo made!
Medical exam room

After the exam, we exchanged some money, dropped of our laundry and ate again at Lucy's. Since I didn't get to eat last night, I wanted to try it again! I had a cheeseburger and fries and Jason had fried rice. Silas enjoyed both dishes. We ate lunch with a mom and her son. She has 3 children at home and is traveling alone - I have decided I could not do this alone. No way. It is very tiring, both physically and emotionally. I am so glad Jason & I both came.
My two boys

Right now Silas is resting on our bed. I tried the crib at nap time and it was not good! He can throw the worst tantrums. I ended up getting him out and just holding him really tight so he could not flail around. He finally calmed down and is out. Jason is down with our group filling out paperwork for our consulate appointment. After that we are meeting for a group dinner - I'm guessing it will be Chinese again.

I'm looking forward to walking around more this week. There are tons of little shops with lots of fun things to buy. You can bargain with the shopkeepers for good prices. We'll have to shop around to see who gives the best deals! I'm planning on getting lots of souvenirs for Silas as he grows and things to take back for the girls. If anyone would like me to bring them something back - I'll take orders! : ) Just leave me a comment.

Oh - we bought Silas the coolest souvenir yesterday. It is a tradition in the Shanxi province (where Silas is from) to give your baby a locket necklace either when they are 12 or 100 days old. The locket has the animal from their birth year on it and is to symbolize locking them up to keep them safe since the infant mortality rate is so high. In older times, at age 12 the locket was unlocked and the child was then an adult. Now, since people only have one child, the locket stays locked so the child will always be safe. Silas was born in the year of the dog. Since it is the year of the rat, they only had 1 dog locket to choose from and it was really expensive. We ended up buying a smaller one that had a dragon and a phoenix on it. This symbolizes good fortune and good health. It also means that Silas will have a happy marriage. Our guide took us to a really nice jewelry store to buy it. We wanted him to have the special gift, specific to his province.
Chinese brides having their wedding photo's made - they let us take their picture


I've packed the suitcase & I'm ready to go home!

*Madelyn & Caroline, only a few more days! We love you so much and hopefully we'll have more time to talk to you tomorrow. I've already seen some cute gifts to bring back for you. The best gift is though, is Silas! Love you, Mommy & Daddy


8 comments:

Alyssa said...

Glad you were able to get a good night's sleep! I'm sure you enjoyed your burger and fries. Thank goodness for the American diner! We had a good 4th, look at the pics of the girls on my blog. Tried to get lots of them for you all! See you soon!

Anonymous said...

You guys have almost made it through this process - CONGRATS! I know it can be tiring with a new pseudo-baby and a different culture, but make sure to take in all you can about China while you are there. When you get home, I am sure some reflecting will help you appreciate all that is America as well as what you learned about another culture. Kristin and I will continue to pray for your safe travels and transition. Much good luck! - Todd

Anonymous said...

I'm glad everything went well with the exam. He looks so cute in the suitcase. He's ready to meet his sisters. You're right! Madelyn and Caroline are getting the best gift ever! It sounds like things are going great and that you all are really enjoying the trip. Silas will think his gift is so special. I'm glad you are getting to experience the culture and will be able to share this with him in the future. We can't wait to meet him! Have fun shopping!

Anonymous said...

Cara, glad you are feeling better. Most of the shops in Guangzhou will lend you a stroller if you need one. The Thai resturant there is really good. The food is closer to the Chinese food in the states. It's called Cow and Bridge (or something like that). Enjoy the rest of your trip. You'll be home before you know it!
Ron and Angela Roberts

-Matt said...

I'm so glad to hear that you guys had a good night of rest last night! Only a few more days! Hang in there!

Emily

Anonymous said...

Jason and Cara,
Cara,I just love the pictures of your two boys. Silas already has a grin like a little boy ready to get into some trouble. It is almost over and you all can be a happy family of 5. My prayers and thought are with you guys, I can't wait intill tommorrow for more pictures.
Love, Ms. Sylvia

Somewhere In The Sun said...

I'm glad Silas is sleeping in his crib now. Oh how I remember that first hamburger at Lucy's! After only fried rice for a week it tasted like a Tbone steak! :)
I'm glad you are enjoying GZ. The shopping really is fun.

~Lynn

Anonymous said...

SSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOO happy all went well!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Continuing to pray, pray, pray--love you guys!!!
-Len and Brad