Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Day 6

Today we officially adopted Silas Charles Tuan Groth! He is ours forever. He fell asleep on the way to the civil affairs office. It was a hard morning on him because there was one of the orphanage directors there. I think he was afraid he would have to go with her.
Sleeping on the way to be adopted

Sleeping before the adoption - he was really excited!

When it was time for me to sign the papers, we tried to let Jason hold him. He was not happy about that! He is very attached to me. Today he did let Jason hold him and give him some apple juice and they played together this afternoon for a while.
Silas' hand print for the adoption
Yes, we want to adopt Tuan Tuan!

Picture with the orphanage director - you can see he is not happy!

After the adoption, we went to the Meet All (like Wal-mart) to shop. It is too funny - their shopping centers have multiple floors. This is a silly picture of Jason going up the escalator with our cart. JD, the other dad is behind him.
This sign was posted at the Meet All. We had a good laugh.
Happy Boy! He really came out of his shell this afternoon and was
laughing up a storm playing with daddy.
Aren't I the cutest boy ever?


Having a mommy & daddy is fun!

We are getting ready for bed and are going to try to give Silas another bath tonight. He sweats so much and drools all the time so he is pretty dirty. We are going to try to let Jason sleep with him after I get him to sleep so I can hopefully get some rest tonight. Thanks so much for all of your comments. Please keep them coming! They really encourage us and help us while we are so far away!

Madelyn & Caroline - we hope you are having a great day! You will have so much fun on your birthday today Madelyn. We miss you all so much and can't wait for you to meet Silas. You are going to have so much fun together!

19 comments:

Alyssa said...

2 favorite pics from this post! Him sleeping on you, Cara and the one of him eating a circular cracker or something with that huge grin on his face!

Jason and Tracey Herko said...

Cara and Jason,
The pictures bring happy tears to my eyes. It's official- he's yours! I am so happy for you guys! I love the picture of Jason shopping! You guys look so happy!!!! And again I can't say it enough- Silas is so cute.

Tracey

Anonymous said...

He is adorable!!! I love his big smile!! I think it's 8:35pm there, so I'm praying right now for sleep. What size is he wearing??

jeanette said...

the pics of him snuggling/sleeping on you are precious!!! and his hair looks fairly light in the one -how cool!

His smile is infectious-what a precious gift from God!

Somewhere In The Sun said...

He is just the cutest thing! And he looks so happy! I love that shot on the escalator at Wal Mart. That's where I found my big box of Dove chocolate's that got me through my trip!

~Lynn

Todd Cox said...

Jason & Cara - We are SO happy that this process has gone so well for all three of you. I know China can be a bit different than the States, but I thought the culture there possessed some amazing attributes. May your trip continue to be a happy and safe one. Can't wait to meet Silas when you return home! - Kristin & Todd

-Matt said...

Thanks for the new pictures! He does really look SO happy! We can't wait to meet him. It seems like you guys are having a good time...I'm glad!

Emily

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! So glad to hear it's official! He is the cutest little thing, and I adore all of the pictures of him cuddling you Cara!

By the way, have you been able to ascertain anything about his hearing?? I am parying that his needs will only be minimal in that regard.

Hope you have gotten some rest and can enjoy the last few days there!

Love,
Brooke

Anonymous said...

The pics of him smiling outweigh any of the ones with tears. He is darling! Hang in there! I'm praying for God to continue to give you grace for each day. Gives me tears remembering moments like these with Luci. God is so faithful! His smile is even bigger than yours!

Anonymous said...

What can we say...........more and more ELATION for you guys!!!!!!!!! I LOVE his smile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jason looks so goofy on the escalator with the cart...that's hilarious! My mom said, "I hate grocery shopping on ONE floor of a grocery store....I can't imagine multiple ones!"
-Love-Len and Brad

Anonymous said...

What can we say...........more and more ELATION for you guys!!!!!!!!! I LOVE his smile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jason looks so goofy on the escalator with the cart...that's hilarious! My mom said, "I hate grocery shopping on ONE floor of a grocery store....I can't imagine multiple ones!"
-Love-Len and Brad

Anonymous said...

Becky has loved reading your blog and wanted me to check it out...I love it! Silas is so cute and the hair color looks just like Caroline's (and yours!)What a blessed little boy he is to be your son and have sisters he will grow quickly to love. I know your family get togethers will be just wonderful with his cousins, Wilson & Luke and your LG playing with Austin, Logan and all the girls! All around a "God thing".

Anonymous said...

I loved seeing Silas smile on this post!!! He is so cute and you can tell he is already bonding with you guys!

Danielle said...

Congratulations! How exciting that it's finally official. All of your waiting is over and look what you've been given!

I forgot to mention in my previous post that Colin has the same pj's that Silas had on in one of the pictures. That really put things in focus for me and made me really appreciate what you guys are doing. You guys have so much to look forward to!

Maybe it's a little boy thing because Colin certainly loves to eat too. I can't wait for the two of them to meet and see their reactions.

Anonymous said...

I'll try to do this during my brief rest time!! The pictures are wonderful and show how cute Tuan Tuan is. The grin on your face on one of the first pictures from the orphanage says it all. All is well at the Hill-n-Dale ranch. Caroline is out and Madelyn is talking while resting to keep herself awake. We have had a big birthday so far. First we went to the movie with the McSpaddens and Terry. About in the middle I heard Madelyn announce to Gampa, "I'm ready to go home." We all made it to the end and the story of Alvin and the Chipmunks was cute. Then we were off to McDonalds where Madelyn was brave enought to climb all the way up the the ceiling and run through the pathways. She was helping Luke through the difficult places and she told me that when Silas gets here she will be able to help him make it to the top! After dropping Gampa off at home we continued downtown to run the sky walks and purchase a few more birthday presents. She has on a pair of her new panties, but didn't want to open all of her presents this morning. She prefered to open them at the party gathering at the park. The girls are being great, but there are tears now and then, especially when they are tired, telling me "I miss my mommy." Just one week from tomorrow and you will be on your way home! I cannot wait to see Silas. Now I have more grandsons that grandaughters!!
Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! I wanted you to know that I saw the girls at McDonalds today and I told Madelyn Happy Birthday. She was so cute and Caroline came up to me and said, "I know you!" They looked very happy, but I know they are excited to see you all and Silas. I love all the pics you've sent out, I can't wait to meet him. Talk to you soon!
Brooke and Wayne

Anonymous said...

Oh how those first smiles melt your heart and make the pain of the wait a distant memory. We are so happy for you. Seth was smiling and waving to Silas on our computer. Can't wait to get them together. Good luck with the food. We know how you feel!
Ron & Angela Roberts

The Witbecks said...

Congratulations Jason and Cara!

We could not be happier for you that you finally have your sweet boy! He is too cute and seems to have really bonded already! I love all the pics, his smile is contagious. I especially love the bath time photo, it's sad, funny and cute all at the same time! It made me laugh thinking of Jason bathing all three kiddos at once... it will be wonderful to have him home with your family! What a beautiful gift from God!
Praying that the food situation improves and that your rest is abundant.
Can't wait to meet him!

Love,
Julia and Adam

Anonymous said...

The first thing I do when I get home from work I turn on the PC to get the latest on Silas. Guys, he is such a great gift, and I could not be happier for your family.Maybe Ms. Sylvia will go to the nursery side to take care of Silas while you all at church and Bible Study.XOXO, Ms. Sylvia.