Thursday, July 24, 2008

International Adoption Clinic Visit

Yesterday, Silas had his visit with the International Adoption Clinic. He was a trooper! We arrived around 8:30 and did paperwork. Then around 9:15 they called him back, he was weighed & measured (21.2 lbs and 31 in). He is so tiny! The doctor and the OT came in and asked lots of questions about what he could do, what he was eating etc. Then we went into another room with the OT and he got to play! She wanted to check his motor skills and I am happy to say he passed! No OT needed.
Next, we went back with the doctor. She did a thorough exam and we didn't really learn anything new. The main things are - he has a flat head from laying in his bed a lot. This is not a big deal and will thankfully not affect his brain! Obviously his ears - but the good news is he does have openings inside his hear. She could not see very far, but when I had him at our regular pediatrician he told me he could see ear drums. I guess we'll see for sure when we go to the specialist. He had about 10 vials of blood taken - poor baby! He cried and screamed but we made it through.
We have several follow up things to do. He has his first dentist appointment scheduled, we are seeing an ENT at Cincinnati's Children's, we will see a geneticist (she takes 6-9 months to get into), and we have to obtain and send back 3 stool samples (lovely!). Tomorrow we go to the doctor to have his TB test read. We also are going to repeat his immunizations. Our doctor told us not to trust any of the Chinese medical information so we felt it best to start from scratch. Overall it was a very successful day! Sorry, no pictures!

On the home front, things are improving. Silas and Caroline are starting to enjoy each other more and play nicer together. Silas is crying less!!! He is having less tantrums!!! He enjoys playing!!! All of these things are making for much better days. Last night at dinner we got him to sign more and drink. We would all show him the sign, he would do it and we would all clap - he got so excited! Hopefully we can continue to use/teach him more signs to help with communication. That is probably our biggest challenge right now. Off to see what the day will bring!

3 comments:

Andrea Nielsen said...

I was in your shoes one year ago exactly. We also visited the adoption clinic...complete with OT and half her bodily supply of blood drawn. We alse went to see the Geneticist....after a 6 month wait. All this to say.... one big step over, another step toward being more settled. Congratulations and blessings to your new family.
Andrea

Danielle said...

What a day for both of you! It sounds like he's about Colin's size so at least Colin won't be intimidated by him. I'm very interested in hearing more about your signing and how you learned it, how much you know, etc. We've started teaching Colin a few things but I have no idea if he's learning anything or just thinks we're crazy! See you tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I am glad everything went well at the doctor visit. I am so happy GOD has blessed your family with a handsome boy. If you guys get at chance come up to my sunday school class in the next two weeks to see me. I need to get some XOXO. I am going to be working at Southland about once a month. I need to be spending time with Tim and Madelynn. I want to spend time with Madelynn's sunday school class. Love, Ms. Sylvia.