Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Day 7

Today marked the half way point for our China trip. We will be heading home one week from today! We are having a wonderful trip but will be very glad to be back at home with our entire family together!

We had another great day here, Silas is bonding really well and he is such a joy! We had a new guide today. As I had mentioned earlier, ours was lacking. She was very nice and sweet, but just did not seem to understand fully what our needs were. I'm afraid she got into trouble and that is NOT what we wanted, we just wanted her to be trained so future parents would have the help they needed. I feel really bad about the whole situation. On the other hand, our guide today was excellent. We toured the Jin Shrine and it was beautiful. It was the emperors mother's home. She talked to us on the way to the shrine about Chinese culture and it was very interesting to hear what life is like for them. At the shrine, she was very informative about all the different buildings.

We got Pizza Hut on the way home for lunch and ate with our travel partners, the Wilson's. They have a suite because there are 5 of them and it was nice to be able to spread out a little! We are going to their room for dinner tonight and are have noodles and snacks. We bought noodles similar to ramen noodles that we got at the store.

Here are some picture from our day!

Silas napping yesterday. He has trouble falling asleep. Today for his nap he cried and had a big tantrum for about 25 minutes before he fell asleep. I lay down beside him and pat him until he calms down. Hopefully this will improve!

View of Tiayuan from our hotel window. It is a very large and industrial city. This province supplies 1/3 of the coal used for China. It is very polluted and there is always a thick haze over the sky. Today we did see a little blue sky for the first time since we were in China! Our guide said the city is much cleaner now because they are preparing for the Olympics. They are hosting the mountain bike portion.

Tuan Tuan brushing his teeth for the first time.

Daddy & Tuan Tuan ready for our day. He did great with Jason today!

Us & the Wilson's at the Jin Shrine

Silas having fun
A view at the beautiful Jin Shrine


His favorite game. Walking the hallways with mommy. We did this countless times today!


The city park in Tiayuan. It was very pretty!


The park

Silas' first taste of something frozen. It was a pineapple popsicle.


The Ergo carrier. This has been wonderful! Silas loves it and it is much easier and more comfortable to carry him. He even let Jason carry him today at the Jin Shrine.



The three of us at the park.

**Madelyn & Caroline, only 7 more days until we are home! We know you are having fun, but we can't wait to see you! You are going to love Silas. He is fun and very silly! He will have so much fun playing with his big sissies. We miss you soooo much and love you bunches!
Mommy & Daddy

13 comments:

Jason and Tracey Herko said...

Hey Cara and Jason,

I'm so glad you have a tour guide and that you ate at Pizza Hut!!!! You guys look so happy. Brooke saw your girls at McD's yesterday and she said they were very happy. Keep the pictures coming because I love it!
Take care,
Tracey

Alyssa said...

New pics on my blog of Madelyn's b-day! Love these pictures. Especially him eating that big popsicle! Glad you found some real food. Who knows what toppings they offer!! The whole elbow meat thing has me worried...

jeanette said...

I LOVE the one of the 3 of you at the park. :)

So glad you're loving the Ergo -it's a life-saver huh?! :)

-Matt said...

It looks like you guys are getting to see some neat things! I would like to see all of your pictures when you get back. I'm glad to hear that Silas is bonding to Jason well, too.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mommy and Daddy,
I love Silas and I love my mommy and daddy. And I love you Mommy and Daddy. Sadie is having lots of fun at Gammy's house. And I love my bed and I love my Mommy and Daddy so much. And I love Gammy's house. See you later.
Love Caroline

Anonymous said...

Dear Mommy and Daddy,
I love you very much. Today we have done a tea party outside under the big tree. We have a new tea party set, Mama. Today it is fun. Silas is so cute in the pictures. Mommy, you look so pretty in the pictures. We're going to make a paper chain to count down our last 7 days. I love you Mommy. Caroline and I are playing kick the balloon in the living room. Daddy, I love to swim. I love you Daddy. Goodby
madelyn (she typed her own name)

Anonymous said...

Today's pics were wonderful, and I swear Silas gets cuter every day. I just love his cutie patootie little cheeks!!!

Love ya,
Brooke

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys! Yet another fantastic post with amazing pictures...I agree with Brooke...those cheeks are killer! We are soooo happy that the three of you are enjoying this time together. Everything looks so interesting--- and, you gotta celebrate the little things-- you got to eat pizza!!! :) God bless your happy family-- cant wait to see you soon!!
-Love-Len and Brad

Anonymous said...

Hi Jason & Cara,

I'm so sorry that I missed your call tonight on Skype! I have been following your trip each day on the blog but have been bad about writing. I got to talk to Madelyn & Caroline yesterday because I called to wish Madelyn Happy Birthay. It was fun to hear them.

Silas is SOOO cute! I can hardly wait to meet him! I'm glad that things are going well. The pictures of the park today look great. How beautiful!

Keep in touch. I'll watch for you on Skype. You're in our prayers!

Love,
Kristyn

Andrea Nielsen said...

Love the pictures and catching up on how the transition is going! He is beautiful and looks like he loves his new mommy and daddy, Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

You all look like you are having a wonderful time! What a great experience this has been! Now I'm crying because of Madelyn and Caroline's posts! How sweet!

Anonymous said...

I know I say this every time, but I just can't wait to meet this little guy! He looks so inquisitive! I'm glad he is starting to bond with Jason, I'm sure it will only improve when you all get home and into a routine. Keep the pics coming, I look forward to seeing them each day!

Wayne and Brooke

Anonymous said...

Hi guys. Aren't the parks there so beautiful. Silas looks like he is adjusting well. YEAH!! Pizza Hut!! The food will get better in Guangzhou. Hang in there!
Ron & Angela Roberts