Sunday, June 29, 2008

On My Heart Today

Last evening we were fortunate to meet up with the missionary friends who we had corresponded with in Datong. As we rode in the taxi to find dinner, they asked me if I really understood the kind of "rescue" we were providing for Silas. I thought I did, but really had no idea. They shared with me that in China, the orphans are considered the lowest of the low. Many times people would tell them, "don't give those things to those children, they are orphans" or other comments that these children were not deserving. They shared with me that orphans had no one to "buy them a job", that orphans had to marry orphans and that many of these children simply grew up on the street with nothing. As I thought about this more, I kept hearing 1 John 3:1 echo through my head. "How great is the love the Father has LAVISHED on us, that we should be called the sons and daughters of God". We were all orphans, but out of the awesome love of our heavenly Father, just like our adoption of Silas, we are adopted and rescued by Christ. My love and joy is overflowing for my new son. It is hard for me to embrace the fact that God loves us this much and more! What an awesome God we serve and how great it is to experience RESCUE!

Jason

13 comments:

John and Tara Dunn said...

What a wonderful reminder. Thank you for this..seriously, all of these posts are making me cry!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys -

I have been out of town all weekend for my family reunion, so I am just now getting back to my computer and immediately checked your blog. How excited I was to see all the new info and pictures of Silas! I also just read Jason's new post to my mom over the phone and began to cry. I also got choked up when reading about how close he was to his nannies. I'm so glad that he has been loved and cared for, and now it will only continue tenfold with his family! I am so happy for you all!

Love,
Brooke

Love,
Brooke

Anonymous said...

We are so excited for your family and just love being able to keep up with everything that is happening to you. Silas is such a cutie! We cannot wait to meet him when you get back. We are praying for you all!

Love,
Lisa and David Strunk

Anonymous said...

Cara and Jason -

Congratulations - he is finally yours! What an amazing journey you are on; thank you for letting us experience it with you. Your pictures are so precious. It's so awesome that in these pictures you are all WITH him. Praise the Lord. We continue to pray for you. Have a wonderful day! Can't wait to see all of you!
Love, Mandy, Shelby, Logan and Suz

Anonymous said...

HI! I am soo happy to see that you were able to get him a day early!!!! God is GOOD:) He fits so perfect in your arms. I am so happy for you and I can not wait to meet the new part of your family. Be safe and know that Todd and I are praying for you.

Love,
Kristin

Jeff said...

Jason-- Great post! I am reluctant to see myself as one who rescues, because I don't want to pass on a sense of indebtedness on to my daughter. Yet, you have well stated the reality of this process. I, too, have seen God's love for me, a spiritual orphan, in a new light as a result of this adoption. Do you mind if I paste this post into my blog?

--Jeff Derry

Anonymous said...

HEY JASON & CARA ----------

What a way to warm my heart, today, Monday morning. Right now it is about 9:30pm in China and I just wanted to post a quick note to you guys and let you know that we are praying for you all. It was awesome to see you all with Silas, an answer to many prayers. God is GREAT!
I can just imagine how much you all are enjoying your time with your new son! We'll see you when you return home!
Bruce, Kim, Christin & Catherine Eckerle

Danielle said...

Wow, what exciting news that you got to see Silas a day early! I've been away from the computer all weekend and was anxious to get back to see where you guys were on your journey, never even considering that you might have already gotten Silas! He is so precious and you guys are beaming in every picture. I started reading the posts from the beginning and I thought I was doing good until I read the one where you guys got to go to the orphanage to see/get him. Then the tears were flowing. They were such tears of joy though and knowing what a wonderful family he was coming home to. Then reading this post made me really appreciate what you guys are doing and how grateful Silas will be for you all rescuing him from such conditions. Be safe and I hope the rest of your trip is just as wonderful as it has been thus far.
So would you like some rice when you get home?!
Danielle

kitzkazventure said...

We are on vacation so I just now have caught up. Amazing and beautiful! What a cutie Silas is! I agree with your post. You will be so humbled by the new meaning that "adopted" has and the word of God and His love will come alive to you after you have adopted like never before. It is really an awesome experience. Congratulations! Looking forward to meeting him at the adoption support group. The Kitzmans

jeanette said...

what a beautiful post!

Becoming an adopted parent really helps to illustrate the fact that WE are adopted by the Almight into His family. It gave me a whole new grasp of the Gospel. Praise God for HIS rescuing of me. :)

Rebecca Lily said...

AMEN!!! I just posted on my blog this morning about the beauty of adoption!!!!! Isn't it an amazing privilege to be a part of it??

Blessings,

Rebecca
Owen's Mommy

Sarah said...

My heart's with yours today. Thank you for posting this reminder! Beautiful.

Tish said...

thank you for sharing this