Sunday, June 29, 2008

Gotcha Day Details

Yes, the Lord has done amazing things for us! What joy! Psalm 126:3

First, thank you all so much for your comments! Tears were streaming as I read them. We appreciate your support and prayers so much! It makes things so much easier over here when we know we have people praying for us and taking time to follow our journey! Our day started really early yesterday. We woke up at 3:00 am and were on the bus to the airport by 5:15 am.
We were cutting it really close to make our flight and we were actually running through the airport following our guide at one point.

We made it to Datong around 8:00 am. As we were driving to the hotel it was very obvious we were not in Beijing anymore. There is much more poverty here and I kept wondering as we passed all the buildings where Silas' mother lived.

We got to drive past the hotel where he was left as a two day old baby. All he had was a note that said his birthday was 9-1-06.
We got the the hotel and had our fourth breakfast of the day. : ) We ate one in our hotel room (just granola bars), then we had one provided by the hotel on the way to the airport, had one on the plane and then our guide wanted us to eat when we checked into the hotel yesterday. We shared a good laugh with our traveling partners the Wilson's about how much breakfast we ate yesterday. It was a good thing, because we skipped lunch and did not eat dinner until 10:00. After we had breakfast (noodles and fried rice) we went downstairs to meet our guide and check in. When we got there she asked - do you want to meet your babies this afternoon? We all said YES of course!!! She called the orphanage to work out the details and then we went shopping. This was an interesting experience! Lots of stares and they have more employees trying to help you at the supermarket than I have ever seen. We bought some toddler clothes & socks for the orphanage to donate and also bought some milk drinks and snacks for Silas and also some water. The supermarket is also 3 floors tall and there are escalators between the floors!

After we got back from shopping, we tried to relax and wait until 2:00 when we were meeting our guide. While we were waiting it poured rain. We met our guide and were on our way except we had a big problem - all the roads were flooded due to the rain! It took us about 3 hours to get to the orphanage - it was such a long wait! We finally made it and then from there it all happened so quickly. We went into the directors office and she gave us back our cameras, photo album, toy and questions we sent in Silas' care package. There was lots of Chinese talking happening and then we went up to get our babies!

The Wilson's little boy, Jacob, was in a little room having a water break. I thought Silas was in there so I walked in and then Jason said - here he comes! I looked down the hallway and his nanny was bringing him down.

He cried just a little and then was really okay. We took pictures of as many kids as we could for other waiting families and then they wanted to take Silas to change his clothes - it was so cute. The nannies loved him so much and wanted him to come home in a brand new outfit and shoes. Our friend that we met in Datong who volunteered at the orphanage said he was the favorite. What an answer to prayer that our baby was getting so much love! When I finally took him from his favorite nanny, the tears began. She didn't want to let go of him, I can tell she cared deeply for him. He cried deep sobs - which is a good thing. We are so happy he was attached.
When we walked outside he started crying. The director told our guide he never went outside - can you imagine? The whole way home he was cuddling on me and just staring out the window. His life was so simple and so basic that I cannot even begin to imagine all of the "firsts" we will get to experience with him! I mean - we got to experience probably his first trip outside since he was an infant! We got back to the room and I set him down. He walked around a little and explored. We got out the cheerios which were a hit and he played with his little cars. He never did cry again. He whimpered a little when I set him down - he really likes to be carried and cuddled! He is doing great and is still asleep. Today we are taking a bus to Tiayuan where the civil affairs office is located and will be there until July 4. Hopefully the beds are more comfortable then they are at the hotel we stayed out in Datong. And less smoky too - I am really congested.

Again, thank you all for your comments and prayers! Keep them coming!!! We are so blessed and are so thankful that we were faithful to God's plan for our lives. Silas is more than we ever imagined.

9 comments:

Alyssa said...

Thank goodness for blogs. I was on re-reading everything and then a new post popped up! This one I read with tears streaming. I'm so happy he is with you all. I'm glad he is adjusting so well so far. Keep the cheerios and cars coming! Tell him his cousins Will and Luke have lots of cars to share!! He's your precious baby all snuggled up to you already! God is so good.

-Matt said...

YEAH!!!!!! How exciting! I am so glad to hear that he hasn't cried much since leaving. He is just precious!

Emily

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of him snuggled against you Cara! We are enjoying soooo much reading about your trip. Austin loves looking at the pictures of the girls' new brother! He can't wait to play with him at LG. It is so awesome that Jason looked down the hall and recognized him immediately. God made him special just for you. I will pray for your congestion Cara, good sleep, bonding, and the girls back home. I'm sure they miss you all bunches.

Jason and Tracey Herko said...

Your post made me cry again-(I know what's new!) I can see another baby in the back ground of one of your pictures and it really makes my heart heavy knowing there are so many left behind. I am so proud of you guys for your decision to adopt.
I love that he is cuddling with you already-that says alot. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I haven't been sleeping very well so every night I'm awake at 3:00a.m. so just know I'm saying a prayer for you at that time. I hope you get to feeling better soon, Cara.
I can't wait for the next post!!
Tracey

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you finally have him! Seems like he was just made for you all. I can't wait to see the full family picture with the girls when you get back!

Dana Underwood said...

I'm crying... I am so happy for Silas! He is such a handsome young boy. I remember the day Cara first talked to me and said, "Can you tell me more about Silas? I just feel like he is supposed to be our son!" It is truly amazing how quickly the adoption process moved for you all - apparent that God had his hand in it all along. Enjoy the rest of your time in China. I'll be praying for you. ~Dana

John and Tara Dunn said...

Your posts and pics are making me cry...I am noticing that this is a trend! There is so much joy in my heart right now as I look at pictures of both of you holding Silas. What a long journey it has been! He is so beautiful and I cannot wait to meet him!!! It has been so fun following your journey...keep the pics coming!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Guys- We echo EXACTLY what Tracey and Jason, Alyssa and Becky and Jason have said (and, well really, everyone else, too!)...we can't get through these posts without looking above and crying absolute tears of joy and thanksgiving to our Lord. I have said it before, and will say it again....we couldn't be happier for your family. He is amazing and precious in every way....what an incredible gift God has given you-- and in turn, an incredible gift you are giving Silas.....you are reflecting God's perfect love for us in such an incredible and humble way...what a gift you are giving, by example, to Madelyn and and Caroline, too. And while Baby Underwood can't really look at the pics along with us, he or she can't wait to play with Silas, either! :) Love you so much!!! Keep the posts a comin'!!! Praying for comfortable rest!!!!!
-Love and Miss you-Len and Brad

Anonymous said...

Hey guys...congrats on finally getting your little boy! TG & I were away for a few days this week but we were thinking about you...wondering where you were in China and if you had him yet! He's beautiful and you look so happy! We can't wait to meet him - now Raleigh will have a playmate :) Be safe traveling home.

Angie