Saturday, June 28, 2008

Day 3 - Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City, Great Wall

Today we toured Beijing. It was a great day! We first went to Tiananmen Square and walked around. Then we walked to the Forbidden City which is where the emperors and their families used to live - it was amazing! We then went to a Cloisenne factory and had lunch. We ended our day at the Great Wall and it was awesome. Enjoy lots of pictures from today!
A guard standing watch at Tiananmen Square

Olympic Countdown clock - 41 more days!


Tiananmen Square


The Forbidden City - there are tons of different buildings and are 9,999.5 rooms. There are no trees in the property because the emperor did not want the buildings to burn down. He also did not want anything to be taller or bigger than he.


A squatty potty! Yes - I actually used this!

The Great Wall! It rained a little on our way from lunch to the Great Wall but as soon as we got there it stopped. It was foggy, but great weather. It was probably in the upper 70's or low 80's and there was a nice breeze! The Great Wall is incredible. There were two ways to walk - the easy side or the hard side. We tried the hard side along with several families. I only walked to the first platform. I did not want to push it since I had not been feeling great today. Jason and several others walked all the way to the top! He bought a shirt that says "I climbed the great wall!" It was very beautiful!

While Jason was climbing I enjoyed talking with one of our guides, Susan. I asked her several questions and learned that Silas' Chinese name means orderly and unity.




Tomorrow morning we have a 4:15 wake up call. We are leaving the hotel at 5:00 to head to the airport. We fly out to Datong at 7:10. (7:10 pm at home). It should thankfully be a short flight. Tomorrow we are supposed to have a city tour, shop and see Silas' abandonment site. For dinner we are going to eat with a couple who lives in Datong who has volunteered at the orphanage. I'm going to get things packed up, take a bath and then crash!

*Madelyn & Caroline, we hope you are having a great day! We miss you tons! Be really good for Gamma and Gampa. We'll have Silas on Monday (Sunday night at home). Oh - I learned today the word for little brother is dee dee (I'm not sure of the spelling, this is just how it is pronounced). Love you both bunches!! Mommy & Daddy

11 comments:

Alyssa said...

The Great Wall- wow, looks amazing! You both look so happy and I'm glad you are enjoying yourselves! The squatty potty would definitely build up some leg muscles! Love you!

Mom Of Many said...

Just wanted to you to know that I am praying for you as you prepare to meet your new son! I am praying for God to be preparing his little heart! All of heaven is rejoicing as one little orphan is about to enter a forever family where he can hear how much God loves him! I can't wait to see your pictures when you finally hold him in your arms!

Dana Underwood said...

I love your pictures! You both look like you are having a great time - enjoy it! I know you are so anxious to meet Silas. I cannot wait to see him in your arms! I'm trying to keep up with all my AHH family blogs from home this weekend - it is so exciting to see our children finally be united with their forever families!! Blessings, Dana

Jason and Tracey Herko said...

I love reading your blog everyday! The Great Wall looked amazing. I would really need to go before I used the squatty potty-you're a brave soul.
Can't wait for more updates!!
Take care.

Anonymous said...

China looks so beautiful! Curtis and I are so happy and excited for you! I can't wait to see pictures of you with your new little one and really can't wait to see Silas in person! We will keep praying for you and sending lots of good thoughts. Stay strong!

jeanette said...

so glad you're enjoying your time there...but now the trip gets REALLY fun as you finally meet this precious son of yours. :)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how amazing everything looks there! Kara, I have a whole new respect for you upon seeing that toilet! I can't wait to see pics of your new baby soon, we're praying for you guys!
love, Brooke

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!!!!!! These pics are so incredible to look at!!!!!!! Just gives us chills to see you in front of those amazing places.....what an indescribable blessing this all is. Brad and I can't wait for the next update!!!

Love you and praying for you - Brad and Len

Sarah said...

I am so amazed with your trip! The toilet really confuses me though...

I am praying for you all and Silas. Have a wonderful trip!

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you all were able to enjoy yourselves today! I am praying for Silas and you both as he finally gets to hug you and feel at home with mommy and daddy. We love your family! This is so special getting to experience this with you all.

Anonymous said...

Cara and Jason, have read every word and looked at every picture -
Have prayed each day for a safe
journey for you and for Silas to
bond with you --- on contact!
You are seeing a lot of history
AND getting a son too - can't get
much better than this. The girls
spent some time with Papaw and Me
today - and we are doing some
cooking!!! Much love to all 3 of
you, Mamaw