Saturday, January 3, 2009
Question for those of you with boys...
When do you start teaching them to potty standing up? I only have experience with potty training girls, I'm clueless about boys. He seems to be more comfortable going standing up - he always goes standing in the bathtub, stood to go on the rugs today etc. I'd need a really big step stool to get him close to the potty now though! : ) Advice?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Well, in Kaz they sit so Nick still sits. Everyone keep telling me to get him to stand but he won't. We have tried but it freaks him out (in a funny way)...makes him pee "shy"! He also can't go outside! Sitting is so much cleaner that I find it hard to worry about. He will stand when peer pressure makes it so I figure. I nannied twin boys and they sat until Kindegarten when they say all of the other boys so it does just take care of itself.
One Step Ahead or Leaps and bounds children's products has severa different kind of step up things but the coolest thing I've seen in their catalog is a small plastic urinal that can be emptied. I believe THE BABY'S ROOM has them (or did) over by Gattitown. Maybe call and ask. These should be his size and may work great for his situation.
I think whatever you want to do is fine. No real reason to do or not to do either one at any particular time. It seems to work out all on its own. ;)
ugh, sorry for all of the typos!
With W&L we started sitting. But they were both eager to stand - Wilson mostly because it was faster! Luke b/c he wanted to be like Wilson. If Silas wants to stand just keep the stool there and let him stand up. You'll have to help him aim! I've found when Luke is sitting on his potty seat for #2 we have to make sure his "stuff" is pointing down or it shoots out all over the floor! He is just now remembering to always point it down himself when he sits. I say go with whatever Silas is comfortable with. We've always just used a regular size stool.
My boys both started out sitting...they weren't tall enough to stand and get things done without making a mess. When they got older and taller, they decided it was time to stand up. I didn't do anything to initiate that, they did it on their own.
my boys started out sitting backwards on the toilet. that way the pee goes straight down and doesn't shoot everywhere. much cleaner for me, and allows them to sit and wait. my experience is that at the beginning sometimes it takes a little while for the pee to come and if they are standing they either get tired of just standing there or by the time it comes they are totally distracted and the pee is everywhere but the toilet. it also helps for when you are out somewhere. if they are used to standing and then they are not tall enough, they may be veyr apprehensive about using a public toilet.
eventually they stand up when they are tall enough. one of mine did it on his own, the other still sits several months after potty training and i don't know if we will have to 'teach' him or not. but is fine with me right now. a little bit less pee strewn about the bathroom!!!
We're just beginning to potty train. It's all new to me. If you find anything that works wonders, let me know!
No personal experience here, but I've had friends who did the sitting backwards on the toilet thing that Ashleigh mentioned, also, and said it worked great. (But we just got our first potty chair this weekend!)
Hi Cara! When my older son was potty training I would put a handful of cheerios in the toilet and have him aim to try to sink them for target practice! Worked like a charm! You could use a stool or put them in a little potty seat until he is taller. You will appreciate the peeing standing up thing while in public restrooms, believe me! Also, have your hubby demonstrate, if you know what I mean. Jacob came to us already potty trained so I just had to work on aim. ;-) I had the opposite problem when Stephanie came after her brother and she wanted to pee standing up! ;-)
What a great question and I'm so appreciative for all the early advice! I would have never thought of the sitting backwards thing but it makes sense and seems like a great idea. The last post about using Cherrios as target practice made me laugh because I can just see Colin trying to put his hand down in the water to fish 'em out and eat them! Good luck and I'm sure I'll be revisiting this topic in the near future!
Eeeeewww! I guess that is where the demonstration comes into play! :-)
Post a Comment