
Here is the Barbie Cake tutorial in case any of you would ever like to make one! It is a really easy cake to make, but makes a nice presentation. I made one for Madelyn a couple years ago and decided to make one for Caroline this year. I am by no means a professional cake decorator. I just have fun playing!

Keeping it real! Yes, I am a very messy cook much to my husbands
chagrin. : ) He usually follows behind me and cleans up my mess.

First, bake one cake in an oven safe bowl. I used a
Pyrex medium sized bowl and it held one cake mix perfectly. I also made two 8 inch round cakes as well with another mix. After the cakes have completely cooled, make your icing. Combine 1 1/2 c. shortening, 2 lbs sifted powdered sugar, 1/2 c. water and a little vanilla. Beat until blended. Add desired food coloring. I used the Wilton gel for a bolder color.

Now, start assembling the cake. I used store bought icing in between the layers. I wanted to make sure that I had enough of the blue icing to keep a uniform color on the cake. Stack the round cakes and then add the bowl cake on top.

The diameter of my round cakes was larger than the bowl cake so I trimmed them to match.

Now it's time to create a space for the doll. Using a knife, cut a circle out of the middle of the cake reserving leftover pieces. Ariel was still a little tall so I kind of just shoved her legs so she was kind of sitting in the cake. : )

Now you can fill in around her waist with reserved cake to fill in the hole. Oh - I also wrapped her legs with saran wrap to keep her clean!

I then covered the cake with the crumb layer, again using the store bought icing.

Now for the fun! Fill a pastry bag with your colored icing and using a star tip pipe onto the skirt. I started at her waist and worked down, leaving a triangular shape in the front to add detail to the dress.

After piping all the light blue, I added a little more food coloring to the remaining icing and piped the front triangular portion. I had some icing left so I added little dark blue stars over the skirt. Also pipe a top for the doll.

Since there is not really a good place for candles, I piped 4 large stars onto the cake stand to hold the candles.

The day of the party I sprinkled some blue edible glitter on the cake and added the candles.
7 comments:
Awesome! Looks like fun, and yummy too! I so remember this from my childhood!
You make it look so easy, but it would SO not look like that if I tried! LOL Looks like Caroline had a great princess party!
So cool! I know Leslie would love a cake like this...just not sure I'm talented enough to pull it off! :)
I remember this cake from childhood too and I always wondered how it was made. Of course as I child I thought it was magic or something! You did a terrific job!
What a cute cake! Too bad Katherine is not very girly.....she gets excited over power tools! ha! ;-)
Well I enjoyed reading how to make it though I hope none of my boys ever asks for a barbie cake!!! Barbie's arms cracked me up, they kept moving! Especially at the end, like she was saying "ta-da!".
Great job! The boys had fun at the party!
Very impressive Cara!
Post a Comment