It's that time. Silas is ready to be potty trained. He is "showing the signs" and we are ready to have him out of diapers. We have been putting him on the potty occasionally and often he will go. This morning I decided I would really start. I took off his diaper and kept him in the kitchen with me while I was cooking. It is much easier to clean up pee from the kitchen floor than from carpet! I set up his little potty and gave him a drink. He thought it was fun to sit on the potty which was a plus!
Within 10 minutes he walked over to the rug by the back door and relieved himself. I took him to the potty, sat him on it and firmly told him that he was to go on the potty, not the floor. I told Jason he was marking his territory by going on the rug. Anyway, an hour or so passed, we had one success in the potty (he got half of a chocolate chip cookie I had been making) and he was so proud of himself! I had to leave to pick up the girls - they spent the night with Gamma and Gandpa and ran up to get him a diaper. He proceeded to pee this time on the front door rug. I was a little annoyed because I had only been upstairs for about 30 seconds. Why did he keep going on the rugs????
Jason then said, I be he went potty on mats in China. Oh... it was all making since now. In his orphanage, they wore split pants. Basically a pair of pants with no seat. He had never worn a diaper until we picked him up. For 21 months of his life, he was trained to "go" on mats that were on the floor all around the orphanage. Bless his heart, he thought he was being good and going in the right spots, no wonder he was upset when I gently, but firmly told him he should have gone in the potty.
I'll think I'll be taking up all the rugs for the next little while. : ) I don't want to confuse him even more. This is another one of those times I just wish I could see into his little mind. Thank goodness Jason figured out what was going on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I'm going to start this process with Connor too-not looking forward to it, he's sat on the potty lots of times, but has only gone once! These mats in China sound so gross!! Did you see them when you were there? Were they disposable? What about when they slept or were little babies?
oh my goodness! way to go Jason for figuring that one out.
good luck on the training. we've had a HARD time training Elizabeth. after MONTHS, she just got going "stinkies" in the potty...she still doesn't have a clue about the pee in the potty. :(
good luck cara! all i have to say is invest in lots of lysol for the floor, walls, cabinets, bathtub...anything that is within aiming range! : )
Exactly! I keep clorox wipes in the bathroom because the boys accidentally get pee on the floor. Several times I've had to wash the shower curtain for the same reason! I think moving the rugs sounds like a good idea. He was trying!
You could also try moving the rugs away from the doors, and putting the potty chairs on top of them. *shrug*
So sorry, but I am laughing my bum off right now!! (I know, payback will come my way!) What a cutie!
Hope things get better for you all!
Post a Comment