Thursday, April 23, 2009

Silas News

As most of you know, Silas has been receiving several therapies through our state program, First Steps. The therapies will continue until age three and then he is turned over to the school system for therapy. He'll be three September 1, so we are already starting the process of switching over to the other system. On Tuesday, we had his first referral meeting with the school. His Speech Therapist, our First Steps coordinator, the school speech path, OT, audiologist, district rep and someone else we all there. It was a little overwhelming! Jason of course had to go out of town, but I'm hoping he can join me for the next meeting.

Basically the meeting was just to determine areas he needs to be evaluated in to see if he qualifies for therapy beyond age three. We know he will due to his hearing loss, but we still have to jump through the hoops. Right now we are going to evaluate him for speech, language, sensory processing and they are also doing a cognitive/social evaluation of some sort. As of now, with his hearing loss, he qualifies for a great preschool that focuses primarily on hearing and speech. I'm very hopeful that he can attend there! I'll update the blog as we make progress in our evaluations.

On Wednesday, we went back to CCH for his renal ultrasound. He did great, they even had a D*ora movie for him to watch. I did not find out anything while we were there, but am hoping to hear tomorrow. I figured if it was of great concern I would have known before I left the hospital. Hopefully all will be well and we will not be making anymore trips until October!

2 comments:

Danielle said...

That's great! Is it Lex Speech and Hearing that you were referring to? I just wondered if there was another one within the public schools.

jeanette said...

what a blessing to have such resources readily available to you -even if you have to do some hoop jumping first. :)