Today we went to Cincinnati Children's Hospital for Silas' ENT appointment. It was a really big day. My wonderful mom took the day off from school to come and help me. Thanks Mom! We left around 7:00 am and made it right on time. I loved the doctor we saw - he was wonderful. You can tell he loves his job and made us feel very comfortable. The nurses and the entire staff at the hospital are great. Everyone was so friendly and it is a great place for kids.
Over an hour after our scheduled appointment time we finally saw the doctor. He asked lots of questions about Silas and then had a look in each ear. His ear canals are open but are very narrow. He does have eardrums in both ears but they are really small. Due to the narrowing of the canals, there was a very good chance he had some hearing loss because it would be harder for the sound to travel to the eardrum.
Dr. C sent us for a hearing test and Silas did so well. The audiologists were fantastic. Silas responded well to the talking but did not respond as well to the tones and beeps. They also tested his nerve hearing with a device and it was perfect! That was great news because this type of hearing loss is not able to be corrected. His hearing test was very similar to other people with the same condition Silas has. He can hear, but does have some hearing loss. The doctor wanted to be aggressive (yeah!) during these early years of critical language development. The doctor was very positive about future outcomes. When he gets older (5-7) we can possibly do surgery to correct his hearing loss. For the mean time, our little guy is going to be wearing a BAHA (bone anchored hearing aid). His will not be bone anchored, but will be on a soft band. I don't think they actually anchor them until at least age 5. The hospital gave us a loner for 3 weeks and then we will go back for another appointment with the audiologist.
As soon as we put it on Silas I could tell a difference! He responds much more quickly and started to cry when it was put on. Can you imagine how much more clear and loud everything sounded? We will take it off at bed, nap and bath time. Other than that he will probably have it on. Even in the few hours he had it on, I noticed a big difference. I am so excited for him! We knew he could hear, but were unsure of how well. I think now our words will be much more clear to him and maybe this will make him happier!
We go back in three weeks for another full day at the hospital. We will be seeing a Craniofacial Team (to rule out any possible associated syndromes - we don't think he has any but want to be on the safe side), he will have a CT scan to see if he has internal ear structures and we will meet with the audiologist again and do another hearing test with the BAHA and order his own hearing aid if all goes well. Please pray that Silas continues to do well with his new BAHA and that this will be a great solution for him!
Now to leave you with some blackmail pictures for when Silas brings his girlfriends home!! Hehe : )
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
wow! Lots of good news. I'm so glad the doctors etc were so on top of things! You got a LOT of info and will get even more in just a few short weeks. Lovin' the panties, Silas!!
Oh what a great report. I love his new "sweatband" and I'm sure he'll get used to it too. I bet that would be odd to be able to hear these loud noises all at once. Thankfully he's young and adaptable! Oh he will kill you some day for taking those panty pictures!!
First, congrats on your precious little boy!! My son will hopefully be coming home soon as well and has almost the same identical ear as Levi! The current discussed plan is to get a BAHA on a headband as well. I was so excited to find your blog and wish you and your family the very best!!!
Heather (FL)
http://thompsonslatestmiracle.blogspot.com/
I just wanted to thank you for allowing me in to your alls little world via your blog. I have enjoyed every aspect of Silas' adventures and reading about all of your family fun. So, I named you as a "Diamond Award" winner on my blog! Thanks for maintaining your blog and sharing your life with us.
Hi Jason and Cara--
Enjoyed the update on Silas. Sounds like you got fairly good news, overall. Glad to hear that you had a good experience at the ENT's office. I haven't practiced for the past 7 years, but I am an Audiologist by education. I can't relate on a personal level, but I can relate some on a professional level. The ENT's and Audiologists are all key players, but the child's parents are so vital to their success. I think Silas is in good shape there!
Our Lily saw a hand specialist this week. He is pretty non-aggressive regarding surgeries, which is where we were hoping he would be. We have an eval with a prosthetics specialist scheduled. She is so proficient with it just as it is, but we want to make sure we look at all options for her best success.
Silas, Silas, Silas... bad move on the panties, buddy!
--Jeff D.
Hey Cara,
I'm so glad the appt went well. I'm excited for him too. I love the pictures of him with the ariel panties! He will love you guys even more for them!
*hee, hee* LOVE the blackmail pics! Those will definitely have to be used against him when he's older! =) Glad to hear his hearing aid seems to be working already!
Post a Comment