Tuesday, August 5, 2008

IKEA

I have a new favorite store - IKEA! A new one opened about an hour and a half from us and we made the trip yesterday. I have been wanting to find a way to organize paper clutter, school papers and art work. I was searching the internet for inspiration the other night and figured out what exactly I wanted. Then I got on the IKEA website and found several things I liked. I was going to just have them shipped, but several items I wanted were not available for shipping, probably because they only cost like $.99! Tara our sitter was coming Monday, so Jason, Silas and I headed to IKEA. It was really fun and I am already thinking of what else I need so I can go back!
After browsing the internet, I discovered I needed a "command center". Jason laughs about this name, but I just needed a place where I could run our family. I don't do desks, the just end up being covered in layer after layer of paper. This I think I can do!
A photo of our before command center. An old bulletin board/white board.
My new command center! We are lacking one thing above the canvas holder, we are going to add a clock.
Up close shot of our new magnet board/magnet strip. My favorite is the little magnet boxes and hooks. I've filled them with pens and things and the hooks hold our keys.
Up close view of our new white board, although it is not white, it is glass. I use this to write our weekly menu, for phone messages, the grocery list and also my to do list. I love being able to look at it and erase when I've completed my task! The canvas holder is to store our school papers and such. The top one is mine, middle Madelyn and the bottom is Caroline's. I can empty the backpacks in here instead of on the counter or desk.

We got a few other things as well. Two new bedside lamps (8.99 each for the lamp & shade), a new lamp for Jason's desk, some crates on casters, little stools for the kids, a new laundry dryer for hanging clothes (mine would collapse every time I hung something on it), an easel for the kids for Christmas and a new rug for the garage. It's a good thing this store is not closer or I'd be going much more often!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cara, I am in Love with your COMMAND CENTER. I love to be organized, your life goes so smooth when everything in your home,work or etc. has a home. Like I tell the children I babysit: "Kiss Your Brain" when they answer a question correctly. You would be surprised how fast 2-4 year olds can remember a Bible Verse or Shapes, Numbers, ABC's. So Cara KISS YOUR BRAIN! If you know any of your friends that need Child Care I have slots left. I am only going to take 6 children, one on one is so important. How did Silas do the first time at his Sunday School class? He came in their like a pro, What a special gift God has gave your family. Hugs and Kisses, Ms. Sylvia.

Danielle said...

What a great idea! My counter space is so limited that something like this would be great. I'm not sure where I could set up shop but I'll have to start thinking. I'm sure you read my post about IKEA and know how much I love it too. I agree that it's a good thing we don't live closer, I'd have one of each!

jeanette said...

look at you go! I love the "command center"!

we got the easel for our kids for Christmas last year. :) they loved it!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so next time you come up this way, you have to tell me so that I can come say hello :)

Love,
BRooke

Anonymous said...

Ok, so next time you come up this way, you have to tell me so that I can come say hello :)

Love,
BRooke

Anonymous said...

Cara-
LOVE yor command center!!!!! Looks great and will get the job done. :) If I would have known you were going, I would have told you the name of the nursery furniture set I think we are going to get from there...don't they have a GREAT kid's section??? I'm with you.....it's probably a very good thing it is not closer! :) Glad you guys had fun. :)
-Love-Len