Sunday, August 24, 2008

Back to Work

Tomorrow is my first day back to work. I've been on adoption leave since the end of June. Thankfully, I'm only going to be working one day a week and I think every 3rd Saturday, so it won't be so bad! I work tomorrow and Saturday and then I'm off until the next Monday for Labor Day - can't beat that! I am concerned about Silas. The longest I've been away is about 4 hours and it was rough after I got home. Lots of crying and uncertainty from him. I held him tight and just rocked him while he cried for 45 minutes - after he got it out he was fine. I'm expecting a rough day on Tuesday. I'm working a shorter day than normal tomorrow (8:30 - 5:30) but then have to go straight to Madelyn's school open house. That means I'll be gone for about 12 hours - yikes. Pray things go smoothly for him.

On another note, I have a really good book recommendation. My friend Jeanette recommended it to me, she had heard about it through another friend. It is called "Silent Tears, A Journey of Hope in a Chinese Orphanage" by Kay Bratt. WOW. The book is her journal that was written during her four years in China. Her husband was offered a promotion to open a plant in China and their family moved there. After a while she began to volunteer in an orphanage and it is her personal journal of her time there. I am captivated. It is extremely sad and gut-wrenching but everything makes sense now. I think Silas was is a better place than this orphanage, but the Chinese culture and traditions are the same. If you have ever adopted or are thinking about adopting from China this is a MUST read. The introduction alone had me in tears. I am just so thankful Silas has made it - he survived and is in a home where he is loved .

4 comments:

Jason and Tracey Herko said...

Hey Cara,

I will be praying for you all day tomorrow. I all too well remember the pain of leaving Karissa after having 3 months off. I will pray for Silas too and I hope he has a fun filled day with lots of love!!

Tracey

Somewhere In The Sun said...

I hope work went well and that Silas did okay. I've been thinking about you!

~Lynn

Jill said...

Shame on Jeanette for not telling me about that book. =p I'll have to check it out. And I definitely feel your pain on going back to work. Mallory did great the first week, but now has been a little sad when I leave and cries for maybe a minute. But some nights result in a meltdown once we get home. It's so hard to be apart. Praying for Silas...and your mommy heart that hates to see him cry and hurt.

Anonymous said...

Hey Cara -

How did it go yesterday? I have been thinking of you guys!

Love,
Brooke