Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Thankful

This past week has been really hard for us, but out of the difficult times I have emerged so thankful for all God has blessed me with!  Silas was very challenging last week.  Add that on to our last couple months of his behavior and we all just kind of reached our max.  It felt like everything was falling apart.  After Jason and I had breakdowns, I knew something needed to be done to help us pick up the pieces of our life.  My mom took all the kids Friday night so Jason and I could go out and have some peace.  We had a gift card to a nice restaurant so we used that, went to the mall and to get frozen yogurt.  Yummy!  The goal for the night was to have fun and not to talk about Silas.  Well, we ended up talking about him, but in a really good, healthy way. 

The girls came home on Saturday and Silas stayed until late afternoon Sunday with my parents.  This was just what our family needed.  Respite.  A chance to recharge, have a break from the constant annoying behaviors and to reflect that it is not his fault!  He did not choose to be an orphan.  He did not choose to be traumatized and neglected as a young child.  As my friend Tracy reminded me, we did not create these problems, we have just been given the hard job of "fixing" them.  I worked this weekend, so Jason was able to have some time alone which he really needed.  The girls were able to play in peace and just have some quiet down time.  They needed this too!

And guess what?  I by Saturday night, I missed Silas!  Our family did not feel complete as I was going to bed and doing my nightly check in on the kids.  I missed him.  It did not feel right with his room empty.  And he missed me too!  He has been more affectionate since he came home.  He wants hugs and kisses.  I think the time away allowed him a break from us and he was able to come home refreshed.  I think the constant attention at grandma's house was good for him! : )  So what was a huge crisis last week, has left me so thankful for what God has blessed me with.  Great friends, wisdom from friends who also have a child like Silas, family, people who pray for us, my precious kids and for Jason who is willing to continue on this journey with me to heal Silas.

I am so thankful that "in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28 


2 comments:

Danielle said...

I'm glad you got what sounded like a much needed break. I think we all need those from time to time to clear our heads.

Stacy said...

Cara, I glad to hear that you had a chance to get a break! I know that your family struggles with the behavior on a regular basis, I just wonder how much recently is because of his upcoming surgery. I will be praying for you, your family and for Silas' sweet heart!