Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Cycles

Life with Silas is an ever evolving cycle of ups and downs.  Lately we have been down.  Really down.  He started the school year up and during the month of October cycled back down.

Silas can be the funniest, most charming, cutest little boy in the world when the "real" Silas is around.  Unfortunately, I don't get to see the "real" Silas very often.  Only small glimpses here and there.   Lately the "real" Silas has been buried and I can't seem to find him.

Silas has shown us some new behaviors in the past month he has not tried before.  This has been discouraging.  So many rough weeks in a row is discouraging.  Lots of crying and screaming from Silas is discouraging.  Lots of fear and anxiety from him is discouraging.   He has almost ruined several fun family outings with his behavior, that is discouraging.  His efforts to set Jason and I against each other is discouraging.  His behavior at school has been discouraging.

But - I WILL NOT give up on him!  I am encouraged when I read my new book "The Connected Child" by Karyn Purvis and get new ideas to help me parent him.  I am encouraged when his teachers tell me how smart he is.  I am encouraged that Jason and I have a strong marriage that can withstand these challenges.  I am encouraged when he had fun trick-or-treating (this was HUGE).  I am encouraged when God continues to give me patience and love for Silas.  I am encouraged when Silas asks me for a hug.  I am encouraged that Silas has given my girls compassion and tolerance for people who are different.  Madelyn won the PE award last week because she invited a girl in her class to be in her group since none of the other kids wanted her.  Having Silas for a brother has been challenging for them, but God is using it for His glory.  That is encouraging!

In a state of frustration a couple weeks ago, I told my mom, "I did not sign up for this!  It wasn't supposed to be this hard!"  Thankfully, God doesn't make mistakes.  He knows what we need and even though it is not always fun or easy, I thank God for Silas!  I heard of another family disrupting their adoption this week.  I understand their struggle, I really do.  But I cannot imagine not having Silas in our family now - he is ours, forever.  I have been doing the Beth Moore "Esther" study - it is awesome!  I love this quote from the study,

"Esther's superficial life was about to be shattered, and a woman much deeper than her skin was about to be unearthed.  If we're blessed, the same will happen to each of us.  As painful as the process may be, that which shatters our superficiality also shatters the fetters of our fragility and frees us to walk with dignity and might to our destinies.  We are not the fragile flowers we've considered ourselves to be.  We, like Esther, are the warrior princesses of God."  

Silas has shattered my life to the very core.  But how blessed I am that God used him to change me into His "warrior princess"!  I fail daily as Silas' mother, but hope that God can work through me to restore the "real" Silas I know is inside of him.  Praying our November is a nice climb back up so we can chip away all the pieces and see our "real" Silas again.

6 comments:

Darcy said...

Cara
It was wonderful seeing you the other day - Wish we had had more time to chat and catch up! I just finished the Esther study about 6 weeks ago - Standing firm in your faith and your daily walk...There is nothing better to help you through this difficult time - We will be praying for you all!!
Darcy

Anonymous said...

Hi Cara,
Just want you to know I am here if you need me. It is worth it and you are doing great. Let me know if I can help. The UP times make the down times seem so much harder. I pray you find your way back up soon.
Tracy

Mama Smors said...

praying for your family~ God choose you to be Silas's mommy and you are doing a great job!

kitzkazventure said...

Maybe we should start a support group with Joan? :) I so get every single word in this post. I totally describe our life with Nick as cycles or seasons of ups and downs. Often after a big conflict when I am feeling like a failure and Nick is expressing some really sad things, I tell him that I would not trade him for anything because he ,only he, could be the tool that God is using to teach me and show me more of His unfailing love. In BSF several weeks ago, our teaching leader said as a principle that God is gracious and patient with his fearful Children...that has become my new mantra....Lord, please make me gracious and patient to my fearful child. I do think He chose us to be the moms to these boys and I also think He gives us special "they just get it" friends and adoption community to get us through with His guidance...just like in Esther...for such a time as this! :) Hugs to you!

Rachel said...

Hi! I don't remember if I've left a comment on here before or not, but I wanted to say that I really appreciate your blog and your honesty. We have adopted a little boy from South Korea and we are waiting for our second son who will also be coming home from South Korea hopefully next year. He has bilateral Microtia and to be honest some days I am frightened of the unknowns that are ahead. I am constantly reminded that God has brought this little boy to our family and that He will help us no matter what struggles are ahead. Your post really encouraged me today, so thank you!

PS - I did the Esther study last winter and God used it in so many ways in my life! I hope you enjoy it!

Debbie said...

Cara, I know our family adoptions are different, but having a third child is much the same. With your family, you brought a rowdy little man into your circle of quiet, sweet girls. Matthew & Austin have each other to be rowdy with, and unfortunately MJ is following in her brothers steps (or fortunately since we don't mind having a tomboy). You both are doing fantastic, the children are sweet, well mannered, and you are adjusting to the "dynamics" which will change as they grow.