Sunday, March 8, 2009

Week 2 Challenge

Today we had our second parenting class. It was really great, again! We have "homework" this week. Jason and I have to pick 5 "non-negotiable" traits we want our kids to have when they are grown. Once we have our 5, they will become our filter for parenting. As we discipline and make decisions we can look back to our top 5 to help us decide what to do. I'll be sure to post them after we have a chance to discuss them. We briefly talked in class today and here were are few examples our table had:
  • To love God with all their heart
  • To understand how to manage money
  • To be honest
  • To have a love of learning
The were a lot more and it will be hard to narrow our list down to five. We also have new things we are implementing with the kids this week.

M - begin a nightly quiet time. This was a perfect choice for this week because today at church they started passing out a take-home bible study for her class. We did the first part tonight and she was so excited. It also helps her practice her reading as well.

C - My goal for her this week is to learn a bible verse about telling the truth. I won't go into details, but she has been struggling with telling the truth this week.

S - Begin to learn our mealtime prayer. We have a prayer we say before meals. Jason's family grew up saying it and we have continued the tradition. He knows to wait before he eats, folds his hands and says Amen, but we are hoping to teach him a few more words so he can participate.

On another topic, we had a nice weekend. I worked part of the day yesterday and then I took the kids shopping for soccer equipment. Both girls are playing this spring (it should be a hoot!). Don't worry, plenty of pictures will come. Madelyn played a year and a half ago but it really wasn't "her thing". Caroline wanted to play now that she is old enough, and thankfully they are close enough in age they can be on the same team, so we allowed Madelyn to try again.

On the way to the sporting goods store, we passed the field where they will play. We're talking about soccer and Madelyn is telling me how excited she is. I'm thinking to myself, she is excited because of her new soccer gear, the uniform, dressing up for practice etc... She says, "I'm just thinking of all the outfits I can wear to soccer practice!" I tried not to laugh. It's all about the attire, not the game!

4 comments:

Sara Crum said...

Hey, Cara.
Ellie is starting soccer soon, too. Where are your girls going to be playing? Maybe we will see you and could enjoy the fun together.

Jason and Tracey Herko said...

Hey Kara,

Yeah we did the soccor thing when Karissa was 4 and we got tired of seeing her run away from the ball and picking up grass and trash. Basketball is now our thing!
Katie noticed the Upward cheerleaders so she's torn between basketball and cheerleading. Good luck this season.

Danielle said...

I love that I'm benefiting from your class through you! Great ideas so far. Madelyn is my kind of girl, fashion first!

Mama Smors said...

I was oh so concerned about my soccer practice outfits too!! :) I needed my socks, shorts, and hairbow to match perfectly. Needless to say, soccer was not my thing!