After our parenting class last week, I really tried to look for opportunities to spend one-on-one time with each child. This week, I thought it would be impossible with Jason gone, but it actually worked out really well. We have had a good week although we are ready for Jason/Daddy to be home! Tonight we went on a walk after dinner. I was pushing Caroline in the double jogging stroller because she had fallen and hurt her knee (she was screaming LOUD!), Silas was pushing the baby stroller and having a tantrum in the middle of the street because I was making him hold my hand to cross, and Madelyn said, "we really need Daddy to be home!" I agree sweetie!
One-on-One Times
M - Madelyn and I had a little date at Starbuck*s on Wednesday. She has piano lessons and normally rides the bus home and then we go to lesson. On Wednesday, I picked her up from school and we went for a kid's hot chocolate and Chai tea latte. She showed me her school papers and we talked a little. She just enjoys spending time together even if we don't talk a lot. It made her week.
C - On Tuesday, I put Silas down for a nap and then let Caroline stay up for a while before her rest time. She wanted to snuggle : ) so I just held her for a while and she played her little Leapster. Then she wanted to watch a cooking show and snuggle on the couch. (For some reason, my kids love to watch cooking shows!). We watched Ina and snuggled. On Wednesday, our sitter was here and Caroline went to the grocery with me. Most kids would not be too excited about that, but it was special to her because it was just the two of us. She also got some Hanna*h Montan*a cereal. (I said no at first, but then decided she needed a little treat) : )
S - Today, Caroline went to a friends house after school, so Silas and I had the entire day together! No therapy, no meetings, no doctor appointments! He played this morning while I got a few things done and then we went to Chick-Fil-A for lunch. It was beautiful here today so afterwards we went to the park and played. He had so much fun running around and sliding.
This week has taught me that I just need to be more intentional about finding creative ways to spend time with my kids. It's so easy just to fall into the same routine week after week, running from here to there and never making special time for them. I'm going to try to occasionally post what we do on the blog just to hold myself accountable!
For those of you who asked about our parenting class...there is no formal book. I think someone in our church may have just written a workbook for the class. I'll be happy to pass along the name and number of the teacher if any of you are interested in talking with him or finding information on resources. Just leave your e-mail and I'll send it to you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sounds like you guys had a great week! Whenever Wes is away and it's just Colin and I, I always feel such a sense of accomplishment that I was able to handle things by myself (and I also sing the praises of single mothers!).
You're so right though about making yourself stop the daily hustle and bustle and make special time for the children. As everyone likes to remind me, they won't be young forever. I love all of your individual activities and they all seem perfecting suited for each child.
Way to go! You should be proud of yourself! This is a great idea and I hope I can adopt the same philosophy.
Post a Comment