Saturday, March 14, 2009

Our Top 5

Three posts in one day! I think it's a record. A few posts ago, I mentioned we were to come up with our top 5 non-negotiable qualities we want our children to possess when they are grown. Here is our list.
  1. Love God – above all else, to know their purpose on this earth is to glorify his name.
  2. Love Others – compassionate towards others, have self-less relationships
  3. Love Life – know talents, gifts, know how to live each day choosing joy
  4. Integrity – good work ethic, high standards and values, honest
  5. Independent – know how to manage finances, cook, do laundry and run a home
Looking at this list makes me see lots of areas I need to work on myself so I can be a good example. How can I train their little hearts when I'm not even doing a good job? I just pray that somehow God can use me (and Jason) to teach them these qualities. This list will be going on the fridge, the bathroom mirror and in my purse so they will be constantly in my mind as we go through our day.

2 comments:

Jason and Becky said...

This is a great list. We posted our list too. We have many qualities in common. Let's hold each other accountable.

Anonymous said...

I think you all have a solid and complete list that will contribute to having "well-rounded" children. (Remember Cara how you would emphasize "well rounded" when ever I questioned you about your grades or how you were spending time during high school?) However, after hearing the sermon last night about rules and being #1 in the birth order, let me encourage you to relax and enjoy life, keeping reasonable goals for yourself, but not beating up for who or what you aren't... I think you are a fantastic mom!!!