The kids are now in their third week of school. The transition has gone pretty well for our family. For one member of the family it has been shockingly easy! Yay, Silas! For any of you who have read this blog, or have a child with attachment issues you know that change is a recipe for disaster. Silas in the past, has had a very difficult time with any sort of routine change, but this time it has been easier.
I need to document times like this for myself. I need to know he is making progress and to look back and see how far he has come. Now, he is at the same school and with the same teacher he had last year. That helps a lot. But there are differences that could have set him back big time, but praise to God, they haven't (yet). I have learned to never assume things are going to stay good, but for now I will celebrate. He has different kids in his class from last year. Three days a week he has a different afternoon teacher and goes to a pre-K readiness class versus a daycare class. Caroline has started Kindergarten and is not home when I pick him up. These are a few differences from last year that in the past would have caused weeks of very difficult behavior, but Silas has been able to "go with the flow". HUGE!
Two days a week I pick him up at 11:30 and he and I have the afternoon to ourselves. It has been great and I hope it will continue to be a good time of bonding for us while the girls are at school. With three kids very close in age, it is very hard to find time alone with each of them. I think Silas really enjoys being the only child for a few hours each week. He is like a little angel boy during these times! So fun for me! When the girls get home, he immediately changes and there seems to be so much competition for my attention. Hopefully I can fill his little love tank during the few hours we have alone each week so he can relax more when the girls are home.
Caroline is really enjoying Kindergarten. It is getting a little harder to wake her up in the mornings, but once she gets going she is ready for school. I love to hear about her day when she gets home! She leaves no detail unspoken. ; ) Caroline is taking ballet this year and had her first class last weekend!
Madelyn seems to love second grade. Her teacher is very creative and fun. She seems to be a great fit for Madelyn. She struggled some in first grade, so I hope this year she can really thrive and things will click for her. She is continuing to love ballet and piano!
Even though I miss my kids, I need the routine the school year brings. I am enjoying having a little alone time and have lots of projects to do! Last week I organized my huge box of pictures and this week I am planning to tackle the play room. My work is going pretty well. Working every weekend is not ideal, but I am glad I can be home during the week more. I love being here when the kids get home from school and having the flexibility to be available during the day if they are sick or to help out at school.
Well, the disaster in the playroom is waiting... I'll have to take some before and after pictures!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's great news! Go Silas! I can appreciate your need for a schedule and routine. As much as I love my maternity leave, I honestly am looking forward to getting back to a daily routine. But I sure will miss my babies ): Maybe I can find a way to take them with me!
YAY Silas! I'm so glad he is growing and learning to go with the flow! fantastic news. :)
Post a Comment