Thursday, August 26, 2010

Cavities

Open wide! Silas had three cavities filled today.
These pictures were taken right after we got home when he was still "happy". The dentist sedated him so they could easily and safely do the fillings. He never fell asleep, but was calm and relaxed at the office and on the way home. Right after these pictures were taken, things went down hill very fast.

As Silas was coming out of the sedation (for about 3 hours) he was screaming and violent, thrashing around, flailing, hitting himself and scratching. It was horrible. After an hour I called the dentist. They said some kids react this way. I am a pharmacist and knew it was the medication, but he has had this medication before (for CT scans) and never reacted this way. It was emotionally, physically and mentally draining! As soon as he would calm down, about 5 minutes later he would start again. I felt terrible for him!

Thankfully the med wore off and he was able to take a nice nap this afternoon. I had some ice cream which helped calm me back down! I remember when every day was like this when Silas first came home . He would scream and fight me for hours. I would feel like this every day. Praise God for the progress Silas has made!!! Today was hard, but a great reminder of how far we have come. After his nap he was back to his normal self and we had a great afternoon playing outside with the girls.

3 comments:

Jen said...

So sorry Silas had a hard time this afternoon. CG's teeth are a mess too. I'm glad once the meds wore off you guys had a better day.

Stacy said...

awww, poor guy! So glad he's doing better!

kitzkazventure said...

Bless your heart and his! It amazes me how our boys react so similarly on many things. Our first cavity fillings were not so long after arriving home. He does not come out of sedation well AT ALL. He was kicking and flailing so bad. This particular dentist office was so not helpful. They basically said here take him, oh, and try to finish your paperwork before you leave! He was screaming so loud out in the parking lot. I could not get him in the car for nothing. No one offered to help and I KNOW they heard him. I am surprised the police didn't show up! :) Our subsequent visits for cavities have not gone well either. Needless to say, I hate to hear the word cavity. Pat has started taking off and coming to help me now that we go to UK's dental clinic. That has helped alot....He takes Nick and I do the paperwork. But, my favorite thing is when they try to imply that somehow his bad teeth are my fault?? as if 3 years without dental care and poor nutrition had nothing to do with it? Can you tell this whole dental thing gets to me? :) I do so empathize with you and it sounds like he came out well once he napped. So cute in the pictures....he looks older, is it the haircut? or are our boys growing up too fast! ;)