Thursday, May 7, 2009

ER Visit

Well, Silas has officially experienced his first ER visit. I'm sure we will have many more given his personality and daredevilness (I just made up that word!). On Tuesday, Jason was out of town, and we were on our way home from ballet. Madelyn had gone home with a friend during Caroline's class and we went to pick her up. I got out of the car, and talked to her friends mom for a few minutes. During that time, Silas took off his BAHA, disassembled it and took the battery out.

When I got back into the car, Madelyn was holding the BAHA pieces and no battery. I was calm, but concerned because Silas puts everything in his mouth. We got home, and searched the car. No battery. I start to freak out a little. I come in and call the pediatrician and then get impatient and call poison control. They were great and very helpful.

So now it's 6:30, no one has had dinner and I need to go to the ER. Thankfully my mom came to the rescue. I dropped the girls off at her house and she fed them and brought them home and got them into bed while Silas and I were at the hospital. We made it to the ER a little before 7:00 and were called back around 8:00 (his normal bedtime). He was so good. He was starving and tired and was such a good boy. About 8:30 he had his x-ray. Thankfully, he did not swallow the battery! Although I still have not found it... They assured me it would show up on the x-ray though. Needless to say we got home about 9:45 exhausted and famished. I am just thankful my little guy is okay! It's never dull around our house now!

6 comments:

Jill said...

Bless both of your hearts!!!
Glad to hear he is okay! Welcome to the joys of having a soon! LOL!
Hugs, Jill

Jill said...

Oh my goodness! I had a scare once over a metal piece on a place purse that went missing. I never did find it, but our paramedic friend said we were okay based on symptoms. I know it's scary! What is it with toddlers still wanting to put EVERYTHING in their mouths? Ugh! =p Glad he's okay!

Danielle said...

The mouth would have been the first place I would have looked too since Colin shares that fascination. Maybe he threw it out the window. Who knows, I'm just glad he's okay. And thank heavens for Moms!

jeanette said...

hehehehe! I just had to giggle.:)

boys are just a different breed.

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh! I'm so glad all turned out ok!! Love, Brooke

Heather said...

So glad everything turned out okay! We are getting our BAHA in two weeks and this is just the thing I'm nervous about... Our son takes EVERYTHING apart (and everything else goes in his mouth)! I hope to not be posting a similar story anytime soon.
Heather (FL)