Saturday, February 21, 2009

Breakthrough!

I have mentioned on the blog before how the adoption has been hardest on Caroline. She was our baby before Silas entered the picture, and was maybe a tiny bit spoiled. : ) She asked me several times if we could take Silas back to China, and often told me how hard it was to be a big sister. I told her I understood her feelings, but that someday she would be happy she had a brother. Well, on Thursday we were all sitting on the couch and she said, I just love having a brother!

The transition has been hard for me as well, but I could honestly agree with her and tell her that yes, it was fun to have Silas in the house. We are finally getting to a "new normal". It's been almost 8 months, but we have narrowed down several issues Silas has and are starting to work through them. His language is coming along and he seems like he belongs here now. He still has difficult days, but it seems like the good days outweigh the hard ones now. He is developing a sense of humor and he is a pretty funny little guy. He loves to make people laugh! I know things will keep getting better with time and also with continuing his therapy. It just feels so good to know we are over a big hump. His sisters love him and so do his mommy and daddy! We are so thankful that God chose you for our family Silas!

3 comments:

Jill said...

That's so sweet! I hope you got that on video; you can remind her she said she loves her brother when she gets older and is fighting with him. LOL I have an older bio brother and would have gladly sent him to China many times as a kid. :) But yes, I know she'll be glad she has a brother, and especially that it's Silas. I can't wait for Mallory to be a big - or little - sis. So glad you've reached a milestone!

Whitney (for the rest of the Shouses) said...

Hey Cara! I found your blog through someone else's. I wanted to let you know how neat it is that you all are so honest about the struggles that sometimes come with adoption. People on the "outside" just think you get your baby and it's all perfect and while you all love Silas just as much as the girls, I think it's great that you all are honest about the frustrations that have come with him.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to read what you have written Cara....God is soooooooooooo good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Love-Len