Thursday, May 13, 2010

Moving Right Along

Plans are continuing to come together for Silas' surgery. We no longer are talking about it in front of him. I guess he will notice something is happening when we start packing, but that will only be a day or two before we go. The girls are so cute about it. They are SO excited we are going and want to talk about it all the time. They start to say something and then remember and finish their sentence with something totally different. They are so good to their brother. He adores them and annoys them, but most of the time they are patient and realize he needs different things than they do. That's pretty big for a 5 and 6 year old.

The best news is that my sister is going with us!!! She is going to come out from Thursday - Monday to help us with the girls on Silas' surgery day and the day or two after. That is a HUGE stress relief! We have to be at the surgery center at 6 am and the surgery could last up to 10 hours. I had no idea what we would do to keep the girls entertained. I want to say a BIG thank you to her hubby Andy who will be staying home taking care of their 3 boys. And to my mom and dad who bought her plane ticket!

Last night we reserved our car for the trip. I highly recommend kayak.com. It was WAY cheaper than anything else I looked at. Like $1200 cheaper. Jason's friend from work recommended the site to us.

Today I also bought myself my mothers day & 11 year anniversary (coming up soon) present. Silas will be spending a lot time in the stroller on our trip. Our stroller options were a giant double jogging stroller (not good for shopping or cruising around), a 7 year old broken stroller or a broken cheap umbrella stroller. I got a new one today that I love. It holds up to 55 lbs so we still have several years of use. It is comfy and I let Silas pick the color - blue and brown which would have been my choice too. It reclines so he can rest in it. I'm hoping he might rest a little more after surgery!? Probably wishful thinking! I think it will be a good investment since we have 2 big surgeries this year.

We've also heard from our doctor about our insurance. It looks like they might cover a little more than we thought which is very good news. We had to get a pre-certification for the surgery and the office is working on that for us. I guess once that is done we will see how much we will owe.

So...
Plane tickets - check
Condo at the beach - check : )
Helper for the girls - check
Mini-van rental - check
Button down shirts for Silas (he won't be able to take shirts over his head) - check, thanks to Silas' friend Luke from school who also has had this surgery and gave us some
New stroller - check

Now just to finish the end of the school year, Madelyn's ballet recital and piano recital, field day, 2 preschool graduations, Madelyn's first grade play, our anniversary, a few more doctor appointments for the kids, planning Madelyn's b-day party for when we return, and all of our day to day stuff. I'm looking forward to relaxing (hopefully!) on our trip.

7 comments:

Darcy said...

Yay!!! Never thought about the button up shirts. I need to start writing this kind of stuff down...Keep us posted on the insurance piece. We are still waiting to hear something...So glad things are going smoothly!!

Anonymous said...

That is so great that Alyssa will get to come help out with the girls. Good luck with everything! It will be here before you know it!!

Alyssa said...

Looking forward to the big trip! So glad I can help out. The stroller looks nice! Though I disagree about it being YOUR mother's day and anniversary present because it is not for you!!!

Allison said...

Hey! I hope to see all you guys while you're here if you're not too busy. That's great that Alyssa can come to help out. Let me know if there's anything at all I can do as well!

Jason and Becky said...

Wow... this is so big. CA is a great vacation, but also it's a huge surgery for Silas. We continue to keep you all in our prayers. Cara, you are a perfect vacation planner. Seems like you are thinking of everything. I hope we see you all soon.

Debbie said...

I am pleased that things are coming together for this trip. There is no greater stress than financial burdens (well, maybe there are, but this is a biggie)so I am glad that seems to be getting better. Thanks for the update. It was SO good to see your girls today at church. They are just precious.

Whitney (for the rest of the Shouses) said...

I just got a chance to catch up on your blog and everything going on with Silas' surgery. I'll be praying for your guys! I hope everything goes smoothly with the surgery and that you're able to enjoy your trip, too.