Monday, March 8, 2010

Making Progress

I'm scared to write this, because every time I feel like things are going better, things immediately take a turn for the worse. But, I'm gonna take a chance!

ANNOUNCEMENT: We have had a couple good weeks with Silas!!! Every day but 1 in a last couple of weeks have been good. Not perfect good, but who expects that with a 3 year old?? It's just been, for lack of a better word, normal. Yes, he still has fits, wants his way and is very strong willed - but he's 3. He's acting like a "normal" albeit strong willed, 3 year old.

Here are some things that have made me happy:
  • He gave me a hug.
  • He has accepted hugs instead of ignoring me.
  • He has laughed - deep belly laughs!
  • He has played nicely with his sisters.
  • He has kept his pull-up dry.
  • He wanted to "stay home with mama" instead of going to school one day.
  • He cried one day when Jason dropped him off for school. It might be odd I'm happy about this one, but it showed attachment to Jason which makes me happy.
These might seem like little insignificant things, but to me they are huge! I know he will cycle back to a hard place again, but with each good day I have more hope that Silas is healing. We are continuing attachment therapy and will do so for a while. If anything, it helps me understand I am doing the right things and offers me a safe place to vent.

I also had a conference with his teachers last week. Silas is doing so well in school. He language is building and he is talking so much now. He is speaking more clearly and has so many words. He is understanding expectations and I am so proud of his progress!

6 comments:

Emily said...

I'm so glad to hear all of that! Great news!

tara said...

Glad to hear things are looking up. Hope to run into you all again soon!

Kathy said...

Hi Cara, I linked your blog through Tara's and then realized that I know Silas! Then I had to leave a note for you, so as not to feel like a stalker :) My son Drew goes to the same school as Silas, he is a bit younger (will be 3 in January). We adopted him from Taiwan in early 2008.

I'm so glad to hear of the progress you're making with attachment. I love your honesty as well. We had some minor issues in the beginning with Drew and it took a while for me to event talk about it because it felt like such a failure on my part. But once I did start talking with other adoptive mothers, it was like a load had been lifted. Silas is delightful... I hope we'll run into each other at school at some point. :)

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Cara,
So glad to hear things are going well with Silas. :-)
Tracy

jeanette said...

WOOOHOOOO!

so happy to hear of these wonderful steps!

praying you see more good days than bad. :)

kitzkazventure said...

Awesome Cara! Isn't it funny how the weirdest things will give us such a great feeling of success and love. I remember when Nick looked/searched me out in a crowd for the first time....it was monumental to me. I know bio parents would just expect it but I nearly wanted to weep when he looked for me and found me and grinned real big and the performance hadn't even started yet! ;) So happy for you all!