Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Settling in

I think we are finally kind of settling into our new school routine. It will all change again in a couple weeks when Caroline starts school, but for now I'm feeling a little more together. I worked 8 days in a row last week (way more than my normal 2), and was so thankful to have off a couple days this week to get things organized. I made out our menu - including lots of crock-pot recipes (see below), did laundry, cleaned all the bathrooms, grocery shopped, planned and bought things for Silas' birthday party, made Madelyn a chore chart and exercised today.

I started a new exercise program called couch potato 5K. It is a pod cast you download and over a period of 8 weeks it eases you into running a 5K. Well, I am NOT a runner, never have been, but hope to be! I have asthma and running has always bothered it. I'm going to increase my medication to see if it helps. My sister has been doing this and it sounded like something I could handle. Jason is a big runner and I always wish it was something we could do together, so I'm giving it a try! Tonight I finished week 1. My hip muscle is sore though...

I also made a yummy supper tonight. It is a Southern Living crock-pot recipe. I'm glad we have leftovers for my lunch tomorrow!
Chinese Pork Tenderloin with Garlic-Sauced Noodles
2 (1 lb) pork tenderloins
1 Tb hoisin sauce
1 Tb tomato sauce
1 Tb soy sauce
1 tsp. sugar
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp grated ginger (I used powder)
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. rice vinegar
1 tsp. sesame oil
16 oz. cooked vermicelli (hot)
1 c. shredded carrot
3/4 c. sliced green onions
1/4 c. cilantro
toppings - more cilantro and peanuts

Put pork in crock-pot. Mix hoison sauce and next 5 ingredients and pour over pork. Cook on high for 1 hour, then on low for 5 hours. Remove pork and shred with 2 forks. Pour cooking liquid in bowl and let set for 15 minutes. Skim off fat. (I skipped this part and just strained off the bigger fat pieces in the liquid. Mine was not very fatty). Mi x 1/4 c. liquid with pork, cover to keep warm. Return remaining liquid to crock-pot and add 1/4 c. soy sauce, vinegar and sesame oil. Cover and cook on high for 10 minutes. Add hot noodles, carrots, green onions and cilantro. Mix well. Serve pork over noodle mixture and top with cilantro and peanuts. Yummy!

Here is the rest of our weekly menu:
Th - Crockpot Roast noodles and salad
F - Life group - taking rolls and ramen noodle salad
S - Chicken Pot Pie
S - Grilled pork chops, broccoli and rice, fruit
M - Crockpot tostada's - if it's good I'll post the recipe
T - Silas' Birthday! Fazoli's kids night - one of his favorites
W - Crock pot beef stew, corn muffins - it's supposed to cool off here next week

I'm utilizing my crock pot a lot this week! It helps to come home from work or activities and have dinner ready.

Our quote for the day...
One of Silas' "behaviors" that can be a problem is his use of the word "poop". Thankfully we don't curse, so that is the worst word he knows. He says it to make me mad, calls the girls the p-word all the time, screams it while in time out - including yesterday during Caroline's gymnastics class etc... Most of the time we ignore it, but after hearing it 5,000,000 times, sometimes I can't handle it. Well anyway, today I picked him up from school and he had a homework page. He had to pick his favorite color and find a picture of something that color. We're driving home and I ask him what his favorite color is to which he responds "POOP!" and then laughs hysterically. I ignore the comment and then Madelyn seriously says, "Mom - I think he is telling us his favorite color is brown!" It made me laugh. : )

4 comments:

Darcy said...

After reading your post, some memories came flooding back. I think one of ours said that a lot or said "tinkle". Every time they said it, we took them to the bathroom. Not sure if that would help or not, but we told whoever it was that every time they said it that we understood that to mean they had to go potty. Without any reaction from us (most of the time) and while saying "Oh, you have to go poop", we would take them to the bathroom and put them on the potty to go "poop". I know he doesn't really need to go, but he might tire of the game when he sees that he has to keep stopping what he is doing and go sit on the toilet. Not sure if that would help or not...

Jason and Tracey Herko said...

Funny how out of all the english words he's learning he picked poop to be his favorite word!
I guess to him it's funny sounding. I liked Darcy's suggestion of how to get rid of the word in your house. I bet he would get tired of going to the potty every time he says it.

Good luck with your work schedule.

Emily said...

Sometimes you just have to laugh, or at least smile, even in the midst of utter frustration.

Alyssa said...

I'm making the chinese pork tenderloins for dinner tonight! Yea! It sounds delicious!