Over the last couple months we have been researching and praying about Silas' ear reconstruction surgeries. I am going to do a quick recap to catch you up!
Fall 2008 - Silas had a CT scan at CCH to see what internal structures his ears had.
February 2010- Met with a friend for coffee. Her daughter has microtia and had her ear surgery about 5 years ago. Felt God leading me to go ahead and begin researching and pursuing surgery for this year, Jason agreed!
We emailed Dr. John Reinisch at Cedars-Sinai in LA. He called us back the same day. We unfortunately missed that call but spoke a couple days later. Dr. Reinisch performs microtia surgery using the Medpor. We also discussed Silas being a potential candidate for a combined microtia/atresia surgery - in other words a surgery to repair the outside and inside canal of his ear (so he can hear better).
March - We sent Silas' CT scan to Dr. Roberson in Palo Alto, CA who performs the atresia repair. A couple weeks later we learned he could not read the CT we had done at CCH and had to have a new one done.
April - Had another CT scan, mailed to California. A couple days later we heard from Dr. Roberson's office. Silas' right ear scored a 6/10. He is not a candidate for atresia repair. His facial nerve runs through the area where the canal would go. As of today, we are still waiting to see about his left ear. They first told me it was also not a possibility, but then wanted to see a hearing test. He already has a partial canal which would make the surgery easier. IF he is a candidate, he will likely have the combined surgery in December!
I contacted Dr. Reinisch's office back (the outside ear doctor) to discuss just repairing the microtia on his right ear. We talked to him on the phone again this morning and he answered all of my questions. He is so nice! He was recommending hotel rooms, telling me all kinds of options that are coming out that could replace the BAHA, and is also going to talk with Dr. Roberson when he sees him tomorrow about Silas' left ear.
We are hoping to do his right ear in June or July! I have been given tentative dates of June 11 and July 30. There are other families scheduled those days, but the scheduler thought they were both canceling the surgery - they are both international families. I'm very hopeful for June because that would give Silas (and all of us) the rest of the summer to "recover" before heading back to school in August.
I feel so much peace about all of this that can only come from God! These surgeries are very, very expensive and the doctor does not accept insurance. Our insurance can reimburse us for part of it, but we will be out LOTS of money (which we don't have!). God gave us Silas and He will provide for all of his needs! We did not have money to adopt when we did, but God provided every penny. We don't have money for surgeries right now, but we know God will provide.
For the first surgery, we will probably be in LA for around 2 weeks. Silas should recover pretty quickly, so we will be able to do some fun sight seeing things, go the the AG Doll store, and maybe even hit up Disneyland! I'm hopefully optimistic, but am also waiting until be have our finalized dates before I get into planning mode. Of course, I think Silas is absolutely perfect just the way he is, but I am so excited to be able to offer him the best possible option. The best chance to live his life to the fullest. Can't wait to get "new big ears" for my little man!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Cara, we will definitely be praying for you all about this! Very exciting! We will certainly be praying for the Lord to provide financially in every way. Any chance you'll be flying to Atlanta before you head to LA:)?
This sounds so hopeful! If there's anything we can do, please let us know.
This is a lot to comprehend but you must feel so good to have some plans materializing. My prayers for God's guidance and wisdom in the months to come.
I am so excited for you guys, and will continue to pray diligently about all of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love you!
-Len
Oh Good Luck Cara!!! What an exciting opportunity for him. Your family will be in our prayers.
Post a Comment