6:40 - wake up Madelyn for school
6:45 - go into Silas' room where he is jumping on his bed yelling and singing. I lean down for a good morning hug which he ignores. Pick out his clothes for him which very surprisingly was not a battle this morning and take him to potty. He rushes to take off his PJ's before I can and then goes potty nicely without a battle. Battles me over putting on his pull up because he refuses to be fully potty trained (control issue). He does get dressed nicely this morning which was a blessing!
7:00 - Breakfast. Madelyn is eating a muffin. Silas tells me he wants a muffin, then changes to cereal, then decides he wants a poptart. He does not get a choice because I have learned not to give him one. I fix him cheerios with blueberries on top. He starts screaming because he wanted a muffin. I take him to time out and tell him he can eat when he calms down.
7:05 - The screaming has ended and I tell him he can come in for breakfast. He sits in his seat staring at his cheerios which are getting soggier by the second.
7:08 - I tell Silas he better start eating or he will be hungry when he leaves for school. He decides the cereal looks good and eats.
7:20 - I leave to take Madelyn to school, Silas goes up with Jason while he gets ready for work.
8:00 - Silas and Jason leave for school/work. Silas is in a good mood!
Fast forward to 11:30 when I pick up Silas from school.
11:30 - Drive into the school parking lot and Silas is playing outside. He smiles when he sees the van drive by and then runs the other way. His teacher tells me he had a really good day! I get him and buckle him in. We pull out of the parking lot and he starts loudly talking over something Caroline is telling me. This continues most of the 20 minute drive home. He is either yelling, crying or talking loudly.
11:50 - Pull in the driveway and Silas is mad Daddy is not home from work. We have already talked several times about how daddy is still at work. I give Silas a choice of leftover sloppy joes or a pb&j for lunch. He chooses sloppy joes.
12:00 - Make lunch. Silas is mad because he does not have french fries on his plate (we had fries with our sloppy joes last night). He's mad because he has apples and blueberries on his plate, not strawberries. He puts blueberries in his water while I am not looking. He starts to scream and I take him to time out. Caroline and I start eating our lunch.
12:05 - He quiets down and comes back in to eat. He's still mad and I tell him to start eating or he will be hungry when we leave for gymnastics in 10 minutes.
12:20 - We head out for gymnastics, one of his favorite things! He and Caroline take at the same time.
12:30 - Gymnastics starts and Silas is having trouble listening to his teacher. All the little boys come out of the foam pit and are stretching. Silas is in the middle of the foam pit ignoring his teachers multiple requests to join the class. I'm fed up and walk down to the gym to get him. As I am walking to the foam pit his teacher is still asking him to come and is now counting to three. I am embarrassed. I pick up Silas and take him out in the hall (insert screams from Silas now). In the hall he throws himself on the ground and flails around. I explain he needs to listen or will not be able to do his class. He regains (semi)control and we walk back in. I sit him down to stretch and he immediately starts flailing again. I'm livid and grab him and walk out the gym, through the lobby, up the stairs and out to the observation deck to grab my stuff while he is screaming loudly. There are 3 classes going on and lots of kids and parents. A mom says, "Oh Silas, are you not doing class today?" I try to explain he was having trouble listening and I took him out, she gives me the "why can't you control your child?" look.
12:45 - Grab my stuff, ask another mom to keep an eye on Caroline in her class and go to the car. Silas is screaming VERY loudly now. I buckle him in and go to my seat and read a magazine.
1:20 - Go in to pick up Caroline, Silas starts screaming and crying again because I think he is realizing he missed his class. I try to explain that maybe next week he will listen better.
2:00 - Nap time. Silas fights with me about going potty. He picks out a book, but is screaming and will not listen to it. I give up reading and tuck him in. He is very mad because I didn't finish the book. I try to lay down with him for a minute to calm him down. It doesn't work. It makes him more mad. I leave and tuck him in.
2:25 - I hear screaming from upstairs. I go in and he is sitting in bed screaming. He wants his book. I tell him he can have it after he rests. I tuck him back in.
2:45 - I'm typing this. I'm mentally worn out, emotionally worn out and sad that I missed seeing Caroline's gymnastics. She has been waiting all week to show me something new she learned last week while I was in Cinci at the doctor with Silas. She is such an understanding little girl, but I saw the disappointment in her face when I told her I didn't get to watch her this week. She told me she kept looking for me and couldn't find me in the observation deck watching her.
2:50 - Madelyn is home from school. Caroline told me Silas is up jumping on his bed. Off to see what is going on...
3:00 - God is merciful! Silas is sleeping.
Will it ever get any easier?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Hang in there, Cara! You are the perfect mommy for Silas. Hope Silas wakes up happy :)
hang in there. We had issues with Karissa and it got so bad at the age of 4 that I wanted to get a night job on top of working at the credit union so that I wouldn't have to deal with it. I do have to say we still have trials but as she is maturing it's getting better. Oh and yesterday Katie had 3 crying fits (LOUD) at basketball practice (it's only an hour long) and I thought I was going to lose it. They both can usually snap out of it with daddy-but he's barely home and I'm dealing with everything alone. Then at dinner we had a battle with food with Katie and that was fun. She was still crying when we put her to bed last night. You are not alone-just remember that. I'm sure that mother will gether turn because there is no such thing as a perfect child!!
Love ya -you're doing great because you have so much patience and a calm voice!!
Oh Cara, you're patience was definitely tried yesterday! I'm so proud of you for sticking to your guns multiple times during the day. That's the only way he's going to learn. I know it seems like you're hitting a brick wall but I promise these things are sinking in (somewhere) and he's just testing you and his boundaries. Stay strong, you're doing a great job!
Sleep is good!!
Thanks for sharing honestly. No, you are not alone. You know that we dealt with this with Katherine (who IS better now) and now with Jacob (who is not there yet.) Yes, it will get better if you continue to stick to your guns, remain calm, and deal with it rather than ignoring it. Yes, it IS exhausting and NO, other parents who are not dealing with these control issues do NOT understand. And NO, it is not because of anything you have done, it is not your parenting....your parenting this way IS making him better. You have inspired me. Maybe I should share "a day in the life" of Jacob. It would make you feel better or at least like you are not in it alone!
Tracy
Wow....I almost burst into tears with the 1230 gymnastics part...so had a few times this week like that with Nick. It does get easier but when your child does it when he or she is older, I think my feelings are more sensitive with those "looks" from others ....I just think they say he is too old to be doing that BUT I am getting better at working thru my immediate sensitive response and letting God just remind me that He is able even when I am not. Hard lesson for me to get apparently because I keep having to learn it over and over! :) Hugs!
Cara-
I am reading this is a bit late but.....love you SO much and am continuing to pray every day that God continues to give you the strength to be the AWESOME mom you ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can do it--- God will get you there!!!!!!!!!!! :)
-Love-Len
I just read the other comments and I think what someone said about the "looks" you get when your child acts this way and is "older" is so true. People are pretty accepting of a two year old having a flailing tantrum, but when my about to turn SIX year old has a full fledged fit in public people are not so nice about it. I have learned to focus on Jacob and giving him the help he needs when he needs it and ignore the people gauking. It gets easier. I have had LOTS of pratice, I guess. **sigh**
Tracy
Post a Comment