Monday, August 8, 2011

A GREAT Day!

Today was HUGE for our family!  It was even bigger for Caroline, specifically!  She has been allergic to milk since she was an infant.  She started out contact sensitive (if she touched dairy products she would react - scary).  After 6 years, she is allergy free!!!!!!!  She has slowly outgrown her other allergies, but dairy has remained.  I'm not sure how many of you read labels, but dairy is in everything. 

Caroline had passed her skin test and blood test and today was her food challenge.  Very slowly, they increase the amount of milk she ingests to see if she reacts.  She was nervous and so were we - we have seen her react to milk in the past.  She did awesome and was so brave and she passed!!!  She is so excited.  This will change our life!

We want to thank all of our family and friends who have been with us on this food allergy journey.  Thank you for making safe food for Caroline.  Thank you for being extra careful when we have visited your homes and understanding what a big thing this was to our family.  I believe her strict avoidance helped her outgrow her allergies and all of you played a part in that - thank you!

Enjoy these pictures of our GREAT day!

 Trying Goldfish crackers for the first time!
 First time tasting mac & cheese!

 And of course ICE CREAM!!  My baby got to taste real ice cream!!!





Yummy!  Can't wait for all the other new foods over the next days and weeks!

6 comments:

Emily said...

Such fun pictures! I'm so excited for Caroline!

Jill said...

Oh that's so wonderful! I can't imagine having severe reactions to so many foods! Congratulations, sweet Caroline!

Jen said...

Congratulations to Miss Caroline!! What a fun and special day!! I hadn't even thought of dairy products being in some processed foods, that's crazy!

Danielle said...

I'm sitting here almost in tears looking at the pictures of that precious face. I can only imagine what it was like for her (and you) to get to experience all these things that she's had to watch everyone else eat for so long! I just want to make her a giant milkshake!

John and Tara Dunn said...

I love these pictures!!!! What a miracle!!!

Rachel said...

Ok, this made me cry! I am so happy for her (and for you!) and truly this gave me so much hope for Matthew. I don't really let myself think about him growing out of his allergies since we're probably still a long way away from that, but I pray that one day I will be taking a picture of him with a big ice cream cone and a smile just as big as Caroline's! Wonderful news :)